JK: Hemi Build - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-08-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default JK: Hemi Build

Well after many years of looking at the yanks putting Hemi’s in their JK’s the time has finally come for my Hemi JK to be built. Here’s the current status and plan forward.

I have ordered a RHD hemi installation kit from Burnsville Offroad and after a big night of drinking somehow decided that the budget could stretch far enough that I have ordered the 6.4ltr VVT MDS hemi v8 with over 500hp. I believe this is the new engine going into the SRT vehicles later this year.

I still need to confirm details on the engine fit out components and the transmission but I have now received pricing back from Jeep Australia and by the end of next week I will know whether I’m purchasing these parts from Burnsville Offroad or from Jeep. Jeep are currently much more expensive but have offered to negotiate pricing. It helps when you have a mate as a parts manager for a dealership. Some of you may also be glad to know that all the parts required for the engine build out have now been included into Jeep Australia’s ordering system so this will make it easier in the future although out of 40 odd parts they only have 8 in Aus. Once the build out items are finalised it’s then just a matter of paying the cash and my shipping agent will pick up the items the week later and get them moving to Perth.

If anyone has any information on importing the engine and parts and recommendation’s especially regarding the import duties then please let me know as this is still a bit of a grey area.

The current build plan is now going to be scheduled in at least 2 stages with the first stage being the Engine and transmission upgrade only. Stage 2 will need to include items such as axles, tyres, new rims if required, drive shafts and hopefully transfer case if the budget permits. The reason for this is simply to do with licencing here in W.A. I believe it is going to be much easier getting the V8 passed if the vehicle is closer to stock so at the moment that’s the way it will stay. Once the hemi has been passed then the other upgraded will commence. I currently have a permit to modify approved for a 6.1 hemi but will need to now change this to the 6.4 hemi and hopefully there shouldn’t be any problems with that. The 6.1 hemi was originally my first pick prior the back prior to the VVT kits being available and I’m informed that it does not fit well in the RHD JK’s.

The engine conversion will be conducted by myself and as many volunteers as possible to get it done and will more than likely be conducted over 2 to 3 big weekends at my home down near Bunbury. I’m planning on removing the body from the chassis to make the install easier. I might take this opportunity to remove the interior from the Jeep and have the interior tub coated with Linex. I have had the Linex installed on my TJ and have never looked back.

The final build out once complete should be something like the following list.
  • There will be many more small items added and due to budge restrictions this could take a while
  • 37” Wrangler MTR’s with Kevlar for street tyre.
  • 40” TBA for offroad use.
  • Low Center of Gravity. Hoping to stick with the existing OME lift for now.
  • Dana 60 (or equivalent) rear axle with ARB air locker
  • Dane 60 (or equivalent) front axle with ARB air locker. I may substitute this for a 44 running RCV axle’s to save some coin. This will mean I can run stock bolt patter wheels.
  • DBOR Matt Back flat fender flares – Ordered and should arrive next week.
  • Kaymar Rear bar to be replaced due to not being compatible with 37” tyres. This is a great rear bar and if anyone is interested please make me an offer. I’m currently looking at a HD Customs switchblade rear bumper with the switchblade drop down tyre carrier but this is not yet confirmed.
  • I need to replace my front ARB bumper due to a little incident with the rear end of a Mercedes. This will be done by the insurance but I haven’t decided on a front bumper yet.
  • Atlas 4 Speed transfer case (budget permitting and not looking good at the moment)
  • Snorkel (TBA)
  • Rocker guards
  • Linex Interior
  • Heat reduction hoods

I have a few things to clarify and decide on and maybe some of you can give me some suggestions. The main ones are.
  • How to physically lift the body of the chassis.
  • I need a good welder to weld in the engine and transmission mounts for me. Anyone offering?
  • Any suggestions on axles?
  • Any suggestions as to where the cheapest place in Perth to buy the Wrangler MTR with Kevlar tyres is
  • Any licencing issues for W.A or any way to get 37’s passed?

Any other feedback or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Glenn Ursino
Old 20-08-2010
TJ DRIVER

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage_man98 View Post

I have a few things to clarify and decide on and maybe some of you can give me some suggestions. The main ones are.
  • How to physically lift the body of the chassis.
  • I need a good welder to weld in the engine and transmission mounts for me. Anyone offering?
  • Any suggestions on axles?
  • Any suggestions as to where the cheapest place in Perth to buy the Wrangler MTR with Kevlar tyres is
  • Any licencing issues for W.A or any way to get 37’s passed?

Any other feedback or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Glenn Ursino
1 . with a 2 post hoist or a group of mates a a 2 post hoist is better though .

2 . murray

3 . rock jock dana 60s or currie housings with true high 9s

4. is there any such thing as cheap tyres in wa . but try beaurepaires as they are owned by goodyear

5. if you buy curries or dynatrac,s or what ever custom diff ask the manufacturer for a letter stating that the diffs and brakes have been built for use with 37 inch tyres .

my questions are

can you register a vehicle with a motor that has not been adr complianced in australia ?

how much of the car do you think will handle 500hp ?

are you laminating the chassis ?

what are you going about brakes ?

do you think an atlas 4 speed will handle 500hp ?

do you really think this conversion is possible in a few weekends ?

how long do you think the stock diffs and transfer case will handle 500hp ?
Old 20-08-2010
JEEPOHOLIC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cant wait. Awesome build project.
Heard a lot of good things on new improved Bor hemi kit with new engine mounts where u dont have to cut the stock engine mounts.

By the jeepkonnection as we speak are doing thier first aev RHD conversion and they are almost complete.

Dont go with 4 speed atlas they have major issues i dont think they are selling 4 speed boxes for jk hemi conversions. Stick to old trusty 2 speed.

Anyway you go get the the video camera ready and record every bit of the conversion. Maybe start a sticky jk build prokect and keep us posted

Try carsales online u can get a 545rfe transnission second hand with few ks cheaper and engine also.

Do u know 6l or above hemi dont have a computer calibrations done right till date and 5.7 is producing the same power as 6l hemis bec of computer calibration even aev cant get it right despite working directly with chrysler so do some more research

Pm me if you need more info i have done a lot of research and have good contacts
Old 20-08-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Just a thought, with the increase in power, the increase in weight and the increase in tyre diameter, wont the brakes need upgrading as well to pass engineering?

With the initial build keeping everything else stock I would also think will go against you in engineering, as I would not have thought the stock axles etc were designed with the power output of the 6.4L hemi...

I would be finding yourself an engineer now, and become a very good friend of his and ask him what he needs you to do to make it pass. My brother does a lot of upgrades and runs the mods past the engineer first, bouncing ideas back and forth until its all designed, then goes and builds it (last build he did was a holden 253 and 5 speed into a shorty patrol with a 6 inch lift. He was told it couldnt be done, after driving it up the trails and using it as a beach recovery vehicle for a while he ended up with a few orders !!

Very interested in watching this one!

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 20-08-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 20-08-2010
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spambulance View Post
my questions are

can you register a vehicle with a motor that has not been adr complianced in australia ?

how much of the car do you think will handle 500hp ?

are you laminating the chassis ?

what are you going about brakes ?

do you think an atlas 4 speed will handle 500hp ?

do you really think this conversion is possible in a few weekends ?

how long do you think the stock diffs and transfer case will handle 500hp ?
Not 100% sure on W.A. rules regarding ADR. I spoke to the licencing department and they didn't advise it would be a problem.

The 6.4's are being used elswhere with this engine without a problem so i cant see why the Aus JK couldn't handle the power

The brakes will be looked at with the axle upgrade. It may all be done as part of the engine conversion depending on outcomes.

Will seee what the new Atlas 4 speed new design version comes out with once they release it.

The comversion is meant to take aprox 40 hours. I will have everything setup ready to go before hand and expect that the setting up and checking of everything will take an extra weekend.

The stock diffs and transfer case will last long enough until I can get the axles sorted out. I just need to be nice on the right pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post
Cant wait. Awesome build project.
Heard a lot of good things on new improved Bor hemi kit with new engine mounts where u dont have to cut the stock engine mounts.

By the jeepkonnection as we speak are doing thier first aev RHD conversion and they are almost complete.

Dont go with 4 speed atlas they have major issues i dont think they are selling 4 speed boxes for jk hemi conversions. Stick to old trusty 2 speed.

Anyway you go get the the video camera ready and record every bit of the conversion. Maybe start a sticky jk build prokect and keep us posted

Try carsales online u can get a 545rfe transnission second hand with few ks cheaper and engine also.

Do u know 6l or above hemi dont have a computer calibrations done right till date and 5.7 is producing the same power as 6l hemis bec of computer calibration even aev cant get it right despite working directly with chrysler so do some more research

Pm me if you need more info i have done a lot of research and have good contacts
After speaking to Dan at Burnsville I wont be using the new engine mounts as they make the engine sit higher in the engine bay. The weld in mounts are better for the cooling system.

I have been speaking to jeep Konnection on a regular basis since mid Febuary and as there kit has taken much longer than expected I am now going down this path. The last update from them was not as possitive as I would have liked with lead times as they are doing everything possible to make sure its a great kit with no problems. I still hope to continue some of my other plans through them though such as the axles as they have been very good to deal with.

I have been monitoring the atlas 4 speed with caution due to the problems. Will wait and see what happens but not rushing into buying one.

I will be buying the engine through burnsville to ensure it fits the RHD. For the sake of a few extra $$$ i will get the transmission new just to be on the safe side.

The engine programming is now sorted out for the 5.7vvt and the 6.4 also. From my understanding AEV have manifold routing issues with there kit and the 6/1ltr hemi. I believe they also have programming for the 6.1 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Just a thought, with the increase in power, the increase in weight and the increase in tyre diameter, wont the brakes need upgrading as well to pass engineering?

With the initial build keeping everything else stock I would also think will go against you in engineering, as I would not have thought the stock axles etc were designed with the power output of the 6.4L hemi...

I would be finding yourself an engineer now, and become a very good friend of his and ask him what he needs you to do to make it pass. My brother does a lot of upgrades and runs the mods past the engineer first, bouncing ideas back and forth until its all designed, then goes and builds it (last build he did was a holden 253 and 5 speed into a shorty patrol with a 6 inch lift. He was told it couldnt be done, after driving it up the trails and using it as a beach recovery vehicle for a while he ended up with a few orders !!

Very interested in watching this one!
Correct in regards to the weight and tyre diameter. This is one reason that I'm going to keep the stock tyres for the licencing. Still to be confirmed if I can get it over the pits with the stock brakes but initial indications are that it should be ok. If not the plan is to have the new axles and brakes by that time anyway

Not to sure if the engineers look at the torque rating of the stock engine to see if they are suitable. maybe someone can answer this?

If someone can point me in the right direction of an enginner familiar with W.A. rules that would be appreciated.
Old 20-08-2010
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

just a quick thought into the heat reduction hoods, you could save a few $$$ and go a few vents in the bonnet in places that will allow the most airflow in and out. if it doesnt work then the heat reduction hood is still an option and you havnt wasted to much, if it does work you've saved a bit
Old 21-08-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

go hard or go home, I like your style. Its good to see some one that is more action than talk. I want to see this in person
Post New Thread  Reply