Not off to a good start - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2022
Back again

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 61 Times in 51 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yep, planning on doing 2 radiator flushes, then change the thermostat. Just drove to my parents house and it barely got to 70 deg. This should happen this Friday.

Then find the oil leak and stop it. This is the fault that shits me the most really. It had no leaks at all 4 days ago.

Fix the brake line that is rubbing on the diff mount before it wears through.

After that, will do an engine oil flush with Penrite engine flush (I am a Penrite man). New oil and filter. Change out the oil pressure sensor when it gets here.

I have already put 1 can on Penrite intake cleaner through it, but will do another. The first one went into the turbo intake, but I think I will remove the pipe on the actual engine manifold and spray the next can in there. If it doesn't work, then I guess the manifold is coming off. I had a GQ Patrol grenade that went due to #4 intake runner being blocked up, so scared of that now. I've heard better things about Liquid Moly, so might give it a go too.

Then work out why the heater doesn't work. Just tried it out and only got cold air.

Then fix the new leak on the front diff. It is only weeping for now.

A full bottle of injector cleaner went into it when I did the trip to country Vic, but will follow up with another in the near future to be sure.

I will search the forum for hints and tips for the manifold removal as I am pretty sure I have seen threads about it, but if you have any suggestions for making it easier it would be appreciated.

Here's hoping it all comes good. It drives really well and it would be nice to have it back in tip top shape soon.
Old 04-01-2022
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

Oil leak appears to be coming from the bottom of the dip stick tube, where it goes into the sump..... Weird. I would have thought the level in the sump was below that, it is only halfway between low and high on the dip stick.

Also, is it normal to be able to see the torque converter? On the drivers side where the engine and transmission meet, there is a permanent uncovered hole exposing the drive plate and torque converter. Is this normal? It is facing forward too, so all sorts of crap could be going in when driving. I can't see any way that there is meant to be a cover plate attached. I've only even known there to be removable plates, not permanent holes.
Old 04-01-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

You are missing the expansion plug, part number 53014008AA. It can be purchased from a Mercedes dealer, except I cannot find the MB number for it.
RTB
Old 04-01-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Here's the answer:
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=155187
RTB
Old 04-01-2022
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

Yep, would never of found that thread. That is the hole for sure. I will ad it to the list of things to order.

Thanks for finding it.
Old 05-01-2022
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

This project is getting more lovely. Just pulled the dipstick tube to put new o-rings on and reseal. Had a chance to give the car a better look over.

Old cars have problems, I know that, but I paid way way above market value for this car as the seller said it was in such good condition.

So this "Mechanically perfect" car where "everything works as it should" has.

Engine overheats.
Under-powered when towing.
Front diff leaks.
Engine oil leaks.
Dodgy wiring on the transmission.
Broken transmission dipstick.
Failed battery temp sensor.
The heater is not even connected, pipes have been removed. Nice!! Here's hoping the heater core isn't stuffed too.
Injector 5 is poor.
Rear suspension bolts loose.
Rear brake line severely worn.
Trailer plug wiring all stuffed.
DVD player is bolted to the floor in the back, and appears to be failed.
Tow bar not right for car.
Sunroof leaks heaps.
Bolts missing all over the place.
Rear parking sensors don't work.
And this is what I have found so far. I guess it is my fault for buying sight unseen.

I well and truly overpaid for this car as I was told it was in excellent condition and everything worked.

But at least I have a list of things to repair now. Really, other than the heater core and Injector, it is fairly minor stuff. Just could have been mentioned by the seller and reflected in the purchase price.
Old 05-01-2022
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

And the front springs fall out when the car is lifted of its wheels on a hoist.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Shoes are for people with jobs...
Post New Thread  Reply