No More Diesel Jeep SUV After 2021 - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-06-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebreakerbob View Post
A friend of mine has a MUX and has an Isuzu racing chip in it, the amount of black smoke when he boots it or goes up a steepish hill is amazing. I am just waiting till he tells me he was booked

Bob
Hmmm...Isuzu D-Max came equal last in the latest 4x4 Australia 9 ute test
Mux same beast different jockey..Chipped maybe better but black smoke ain't good.
Old 29-06-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)
Default DPF Issue (Not Jeep this time)

Well it's Ford's turn to cop a bashing rather than Jeep which until a few years ago was the target...but the real purpose of this post is to highlight the fact (danger) that any vehicle with a DPF has the be careful when parking over grass which often happens when desert (spinifex) or offroad driving.

Quote:Pat Callinan's 4X4 Adventures
"News

Recall: Even more Fords catching on fire

You may recall the recall (see what we did there) on the Ford Rangers late last year, and their ability to burst into flames when parked and used in long grass due to an accumulation of dead grass around the DPF and exhaust system. The list of recalled Ford vehicles has now grown from 59,000 to over 73,000

Despite the rather obvious implications of parking a vehicle in long grass, Ford Australia initially recalled 59,000 vehicles to have a underbody heat shield and deflector shield added to the Rangers to stave off the spontaneous combustion issues. With parts now available to be fitted, there has been another 14,000 vehicles added to the list, built between July 2016 and April 2018"

Read more
Old 29-06-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts

I think long grass and hot exhausts have been a problem long before DPF's were thought off. I reckon the heat shielding on modern 4x4 cause as many problems as they claim to solve.
Old 30-06-2018
AJOR Gold

Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Well it's Ford's turn to cop a bashing rather than Jeep which until a few years ago was the target...but the real purpose of this post is to highlight the fact (danger) that any vehicle with a DPF has the be careful when parking over grass which often happens when desert (spinifex) or offroad driving.

Quote:Pat Callinan's 4X4 Adventures
"News

Recall: Even more Fords catching on fire

You may recall the recall (see what we did there) on the Ford Rangers late last year, and their ability to burst into flames when parked and used in long grass due to an accumulation of dead grass around the DPF and exhaust system. The list of recalled Ford vehicles has now grown from 59,000 to over 73,000

Despite the rather obvious implications of parking a vehicle in long grass, Ford Australia initially recalled 59,000 vehicles to have a underbody heat shield and deflector shield added to the Rangers to stave off the spontaneous combustion issues. With parts now available to be fitted, there has been another 14,000 vehicles added to the list, built between July 2016 and April 2018"

Read more
Yes, and what does Pat Callinan drive?.. oh a direct competitor to the Ford Ranger.
Old 30-06-2018

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy99 View Post
Yes, and what does Pat Callinan drive?.. oh a direct competitor to the Ford Ranger.
I find it interesting to see what pushes a brand into that "unreliable" category.
The ford has bad welds on the steering shaft... very scary, then there is the grass fire issue, airbags and the list goes on.
My ideal vehicle is a diesel manual 4x4. I compromised on the manual part but if I need a new vehicle in a few years time I hope there is some engine that will provide good torque, economy and range that the diesels provide.
Rough example...
Diesel Cherokee ~6l/100km ~890km range
Petrol Cherokee ~11l/100km ~500km range
And now they tout the 4 pot turbo as the efficient alternative. I just don't see it.

Tesla 4x4 maybe ?

Crash486 - Cherokee Limited 2015 Diesel
Old 30-06-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
I think long grass and hot exhausts have been a problem long before DPF's were thought off. I reckon the heat shielding on modern 4x4 cause as many problems as they claim to solve.
I agree..Mate had his Wrangler catch on fire up the Cape...Kids in the back started screaming.."Dad the Jeeps on fire"..Luckily he stopped and had an extinguisher to put out the grass fire underneath....Saved the beast...Anyway..if it were a jeep recall or on fire in the burbs or highway the media would have a field day..."Another Jeep recall" or "Jeep catches on fire" or word to that effect....Any other brand and hardly a whimper...But the point here is really " long gass (build up of debris) and hot exhaust systems don't mix....Maybe PEV will be a God-send?? Tesla 4x4!!!! Nah!!!!..I'll have trouble weaning off diesels whatever is the future..I don't fancy offroading on a pathetically small petrol motor when the batteries go flat in a PEV 4x4....Don't think it would cut the mustard up the OTT or Balfour Track or anywhere else.

Last edited by Wanderer; 30-06-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 30-06-2018
RubiconSlammer

Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

Can't see diesel engines being phased out for quite some time, given that almost all the major car makers are still producing new diesel engines.

What engines will run our semi's when / if diesels are phased out.

As for the fire thing, this can happen with any make of vehicle, DPF or not, if the exhaust is hot enough and comes into contact with dry grass.

Cheers, Craig