My XJ Cherokee's...... - Page 28 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2021
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

P.O.S!.... the MAP Sensor didn't change much and my spotlight brackets were too flimsy ... So I have bee Thinking Drinking Researching Stressing and many more ing things.
Why wont a perfectly good 4L run properly? I crossed checked my symptoms and eliminated new parts all that bullshit AND?......
So all this time I have been thinking that when it runs shithouse and surges cuts out and restarts it was Starving for fuel? But what if it was getting Too Much Fuel? and Flooding? Father in Law commented today when I started it that it smelt like fuel? It is sluggish and that's why I thought the cat was blocked its has been over fueling ?
I read that the Coolant Temp Sensor goes bad the PCM don't know temp Dumps Extra Fuel runs shithouse carbons up the O2 sensor that confuses the PCM even more and runs more shithouse?
I might be clutching at straws here But I cant think of anything else?
I do remember changing the temp sensor on the 96 but cant remember if it cured what I was trying to do?
So we will see what happens Dirt cheap on rockauto But I didnt want to wait for over 2 weeks I found the same one $30 dearer but in Brisbane on ebay I will have it next week No Fridge Magnet though !
I got on to some Aluminon checker plate I have perfect templates and will cut some more out tomorrow
as always 1 step forward 1 sideways and 1 backwards
Old 11-07-2021
AJOR Bronze

I think I won XJ Lotto last night ! I was looking on the XJ facebook groups and on XJ Freaks a guy posted a link to a facebook market place add for a XJ Rear Tyre Carrier for $200 it was in Brisbane I messaged him and he still had it! But wouldn't freight it to me No No .. NO!
But wait he is only one suburb over on Brisbane Northside from my Sister ..Dear Sister So Yes Yes YES! she will pick up for me and store in my Mums shed and I will pick it up at Christmas when I drive the 99 to Brisbane (if I ever get it running properly)
The carrier came off a 98 so it should be a easy fit uses the bumper bolts I believe ..........................
So funny how things work ... right place . right time Etc.
Waiting on the post this week uni joints deuche plugs and the coolant sensor
I will fit the temp sensor and a new up O2 sensor I am going to book in to this new mechanic for the 20th to get the exhaust uni's done
I cant get any codes but I might get him to check with his code reader
Rather Chuffed at the moment ...

The Kings 9" are Fitted!
Old 11-07-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
I think I won XJ Lotto last night ! I was looking on the XJ facebook groups and on XJ Freaks a guy posted a link to a facebook market place add for a XJ Rear Tyre Carrier for $200 it was in Brisbane I messaged him and he still had it! But wouldn't freight it to me No No .. NO!
But wait he is only one suburb over on Brisbane Northside from my Sister ..Dear Sister So Yes Yes YES! she will pick up for me and store in my Mums shed and I will pick it up at Christmas when I drive the 99 to Brisbane (if I ever get it running properly)
The carrier came off a 98 so it should be a easy fit uses the bumper bolts I believe ..........................
So funny how things work ... right place . right time Etc.
Waiting on the post this week uni joints deuche plugs and the coolant sensor
I will fit the temp sensor and a new up O2 sensor I am going to book in to this new mechanic for the 20th to get the exhaust uni's done
I cant get any codes but I might get him to check with his code reader
Rather Chuffed at the moment ...

The Kings 9" are Fitted!
Wow ! Great pickup and well deserved. Good on you mate.
Old 11-07-2021
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Looking mighty fine there mate, those sunny's really suit these Heeps!

A dodgy coolant temp sensor can absolutely cause fueling issues. On the similar vintage straight 6 and v8 BMW's I work with, a failed coolant temp sensor will make those a real bastard to start once warmed up, and run pretty rough too - the DME (same as our PCM) sees a bad signal and seems to default to just dumping fuel into it. Could be a similar failure mode on the XJ's, although I would have THOUGHT it would generate a code... although, they NEVER throw codes on the BMW's so take that as you will.

They're cheap and dead easy to replace, so it wouldn't hurt. Remember you've got your main coolant sensor up the front of the motor that feeds the PCM, and the tiny one at the back of the rocker cover that feeds the gauge. Obviously, you want the big one up front.
Old 14-07-2021
AJOR Bronze

I got the coolant temp sensor today yes the big one up the front
I fitted it and the old one looked pretty ordinary rust corrosion pretty sad I hope this does the trick I haven't started it yet as I want to change the O2 sensor I may as well start it on fresh well everything
I have the Uni Joints and the plugs for the lights
I have booked it in for next Tuesday at the new mechanic for
Fix Exhaust (new O2 supplied) Replace both Uni's check rear brakes and 2 bolts to tap on the tranny
Hopefully it is Fixed!
Old 15-07-2021
AJOR Bronze

FIXED!
Finally the O2 was covered in Damp Soot ....
Just like num 3 plug I took out the other day sooty under 100 k's The exhaust and uni joints are on tuesday after that next week I will do a 200 k round trip to Barcaldine to burn some soot out
Old 17-07-2021
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Well done,
It always seems to be one component playing up, then once replaced, they pur..
I’ve got to look at my NSS.. seem to have a very intermittent start issue..

Cheers,