XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 14 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those of you who have mounted the coolers, have you really noticed a big difference?

I stopped by the auto transmission place I take the Jeep to recently for a chinwag (its due for a service anyway). When I asked him about mounting a transmission oil cooler his reply was "where"? He didn't think there were many places that would be effective and not hinder the main cooling path for the radiator.

He suggested looking at a better quality oil and maybe fitting a gauge, and just stop when it gets "too hot".
Old 13-03-2010
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionM View Post
Those of you who have mounted the coolers, have you really noticed a big difference?

I stopped by the auto transmission place I take the Jeep to recently for a chinwag (its due for a service anyway). When I asked him about mounting a transmission oil cooler his reply was "where"? He didn't think there were many places that would be effective and not hinder the main cooling path for the radiator.

He suggested looking at a better quality oil and maybe fitting a gauge, and just stop when it gets "too hot".
One way of doing it that does not hinder the main cooling flow.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoCooler.htm
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 13-03-2010
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceven View Post
Got a pic? Where did you get the pod?
They the pod was a left over from my two door turbo days. however crazy sales, where you got the gauge does them.
I just heated it with a heat gun, put it into position then re-set the leading edge around the jeep pillar.

'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 13-03-2010
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Lots of posts by those with bigger or better coolers reporting improvements.

Quote:

To date, Ive noticed no airflow problems ... even with the shroud around the radiator left off ... others may have a different result.

Factory "normal" tranny oil temp is specced at 50'-80' celcius ... and thats with the tranny oil line connections on the "cool" side of the radiator and no aux oil cooler.

To maintain that 50'-80' temp when towing etc., the little aux cooler (that is fitted on Aust models) ... is an option in the U.S as is the electric fan etc...

Aust didnt get an optional oil cooler for towing etc .... The one that is fitted is obviously there to maintain the U.S. "normal" temps with the Aust. radiator that has the tranny oil line connections on the hot side of the radiator.

Get yourself a gauge as suggested ... Have a look at what temps are occurring with YOUR use of the vehicle ... compare it with known and easily available oil temp data ... and then make the decision whether YOU need a better cooler.

Last edited by carvesdodo; 13-03-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 13-03-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Another Update.
Went for a driveup the mountains today. One road was a fairly steep winding road that went for approx 15Km on the tar. With the standard Jeep cooling system the Trans temps went as high as 120 Degrees. Took some time for the oil to come back down to temp. Engine temp max was around 100 Degrees. with the test that I have done it is definatley an option to fit a better trans cooler to the Jeep.
Old 17-03-2010
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Update on mine...
Went to the springs 4x4 park on weekend, towing my camper trailer the car boiled going over cunninghams gap. I haven't had cooling issues prior to installing the new radiator and trans cooler so I'm less than impressed.

I'm pretty sure the issue is that the trans cooler restricts the airflow to the radiator too much, as when I run the aux fan constantly the temps stay low until I work it real hard, once the car stops working hard the temps return to normal (only with the aux fan still running).

Plan for me now is to install an electric fan to get more airflow. Hopefully this will resolve the issue. If it doesn't I was thinking of moving the trans cooler. Has anyone thought of mounting it under the bonnet like a GU has its intercooler?
Old 17-03-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisXJ View Post
Another Update.
Went for a driveup the mountains today. One road was a fairly steep winding road that went for approx 15Km on the tar. With the standard Jeep cooling system the Trans temps went as high as 120 Degrees. Took some time for the oil to come back down to temp. Engine temp max was around 100 Degrees. with the test that I have done it is definatley an option to fit a better trans cooler to the Jeep.
Which mountain was that? I've done the Mt Cootha loop with my camper trailer (~1.1t) in late November temperatures. I noticed heat thru the floor (I could feel radiant heat - never had that before).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceven View Post
Update on mine...
Went to the springs 4x4 park on weekend, towing my camper trailer the car boiled going over cunninghams gap. I haven't had cooling issues prior to installing the new radiator and trans cooler so I'm less than impressed.

I'm pretty sure the issue is that the trans cooler restricts the airflow to the radiator too much, as when I run the aux fan constantly the temps stay low until I work it real hard, once the car stops working hard the temps return to normal (only with the aux fan still running).
This is my fear / concern about trying to locate the trans cooler in a decent spot.