One for the builders - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-03-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

pardon my ignorance here, but from the looks of it the chem set is basically a glue like subtance that goes in the hole you pre drill and when you put the bolt in there is obviously bursts and sets against the outside of the hole holding the bolt in place... is this correct ?
Are they strong enough ? Would thye be stronger then a dynabolt ?
Thanks for all the info.
I will be doing it this long weekend so getting as much info as I can.
I've built heaps of things before in wood and steel, just nothing of this size that sits above your head to withstand all elements.
Cheers.
Old 17-03-2008
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a lot of variables with an existing slab (e.g. condition, use of reo etc), especially one in residential situation. as already mentioned I'd go closer to 100mm from slab edge if using dynabolts bcos as murray said, they push the hole outwards. you could go a bit less if using chem set- very strong stuff but im not sure what type of bolts you would use with it. Ive only used chem set with reo bars.
Hilti or ramset bought out a product a couple of years back. Its a bolt with a screw thread that you just drilled it into a predrilled hole (like if screwing into hardwood) and it was supposed to be as strong as using chem set. cant remember if its still around or if it lives up to the marketing claim. and the bolts are pricey too but very easy to use.
Old 17-03-2008
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts

Chem setting the bolts into the slab is a great way to go and is used for a lot more applications than people realise. as long as you follow the instructions regarding depth of hole and make sure you blow the hole clean they are more than strong enough for what you want.

One last thing have you checked and made sure you don't need council approval before you build your pergola.

Last edited by North Coast Wrangler; 17-03-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: don't know how to read:)
Old 17-03-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 50 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Coast Wrangler View Post
One last thing have you checked and made sure you don't need council approval before you build your pergola.
Isn't that like saying "did you get an engineers certificate before you installed your 6" lift and 37's?"
Old 17-03-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Coast Wrangler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrardB View Post
Isn't that like saying "did you get an engineers certificate before you installed your 6" lift and 37's?"
hahaha... nice one JarrardB.

Yes I have checked with council and all is good to go.
Old 17-03-2008
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

Might be worth using stainless threaded rod too, if it's a wet area, also another trick is to put some denso tape between the base plate and the concrete, to prevent any corrosion
Old 17-03-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Man this is like a Bunnings DIY class LoL