6 Cyl Fuel Usage - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-05-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 50 Times in 41 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default 6 Cyl Fuel Usage

Hi peoples (dare I say Jeepsters), we're on a trip round the coast of Oz with our 99 WJ Laredo with the 4.0L motor towing our 16'6" pop-top Viscount. So far we've done 2310k's & used just under 534 Litres, giving us a usage of 23.11L per 100k's.
How does this sound to you other 6cyl owners?
Old 16-05-2017
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts

I have a 4.0 ZJ, it gives me about 12 to 20 per 100 depending on what sort of driving I'm doing. 23 towing a van is pretty good I reckon. Doesn't help that our vehicles have the aerodynamics of a brick I suppose.

How does the 4.0 go pulling the van?

Sent from my PTBT60M10BLK using Tapatalk
Old 16-05-2017

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I too tow a van of around 1200Kg loaded with a ZG Grand Cherokee and get around the same figures, best has been 17.5/100k and worst around 22/100k so you are just about right on the money. You're doing well, enjoy your trip.

Denis.
Old 17-05-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 50 Times in 41 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

It's alright on the flats or gently sloping hills but doesn't like the steeper ones much. 1st and 2nd gears up some, just fast enough to stay in front of the semi's. We are carrying gear on the roof and large (heavy) toolbox and genny in the back of the old girl too.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 17-05-2017
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

Our Camper trailer weight is just under 1300kg fully loaded. On our last trip around tassie the overall fuel consumption for our 4.0 XJ was 15.9lit/100 km.
The first leg of towing only between Hobart & Strahan (very hilly) returned figures of 16.6lit/100km.

I usually get 12lit/100k on a trip, and 16's around town.

I reckon the figures mentioned above are waaaay to high!
Old 24-05-2017

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

The only 6 I've had was in the XJ and it used to get around 18 city and 13 highway not towing a thing in a vehicle that weights hundreds of KG's less. Your figures sound fine.
Old 11-06-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 284 Times in 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelo25 View Post
Hi peoples (dare I say Jeepsters), we're on a trip round the coast of Oz with our 99 WJ Laredo with the 4.0L motor towing our 16'6" pop-top Viscount. So far we've done 2310k's & used just under 534 Litres, giving us a usage of 23.11L per 100k's.
How does this sound to you other 6cyl owners?
In reckon that is $hithouse fuel economy, my daughter's WG grand cherokee 4.0L gets 11.3L/100km cruising not towing and 14.4L/100km towing a 2 tonne horse float. I changed the front O2 sensor a little while back and it improved remarkably to the these figures.
Use a new genuine mopar O2 sensor as the aftermarket ones don't seem to achieve the same results.
Post New Thread  Reply