Led headlights - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hey Nanook,

Did you tap into the front turn signals below the headlights or the side markers on the fenders for the DRLs? I’ve watched a YouTube video that shows a guy tapping into the “middle” wire on his front turn signals, but mine only have two wires (block and blue).

I tried tapping into the blue wire, but that didn’t seem to work. Do you have any suggestions or pictures of how you wired your DRLs? Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I fitted mine this morning and are very happy with them, mind you, I haven't driven it at night yet obviously.

Stu, I ended up going the same path as you and wired the DRL's to the parking lights. The hardest part was trying to find somewhere to mount the anti flicker modules. There's not a great deal of room behind there.
Previous Jeeps: 1998 TJ Sport, 1999 XJ Cherokee
Old 08-10-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozian View Post
Hey Nanook,

Did you tap into the front turn signals below the headlights or the side markers on the fenders for the DRLs? I’ve watched a YouTube video that shows a guy tapping into the “middle” wire on his front turn signals, but mine only have two wires (block and blue).

I tried tapping into the blue wire, but that didn’t seem to work. Do you have any suggestions or pictures of how you wired your DRLs? Thanks!!
The blue wire from the LED headlight is the DRL wire. I plugged the blue wire straight into the parking light wire from the back of the original headlight which is the single one with the female spade crimp.

Doing it this way doesn't give you a daytime running light function but turns the DRL led into the parking lights. So it will only light up when you turn on the parking lights.

If you want to use it as a DRL, the easiest way to do it is to tap into a spare
fuse from the fuse box under the bonnet. From memory use M9, as it's the rear seat heater. This supplies power only when the ignition is on.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 08-10-2018
Established Member

Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
The blue wire from the LED headlight is the DRL wire. I plugged the blue wire straight into the parking light wire from the back of the original headlight which is the single one with the female spade crimp.

Doing it this way doesn't give you a daytime running light function but turns the DRL led into the parking lights. So it will only light up when you turn on the parking lights.

If you want to use it as a DRL, the easiest way to do it is to tap into a spare
fuse from the fuse box under the bonnet. From memory use M9, as it's the rear seat heater. This supplies power only when the ignition is on.
Thanks Nanook. I ended up hooking into the M9 fuse, which seemed to be the easiest solution in the end so that they do work as DRLs as soon as the ignition is on.

I notice that my DRLs are very bright at each end of the arc, but not as bright up at the top of the arc. Have you (or others with the Stedi leds) noticed anything similar, or could I have an issue? I also noticed that despite using Stedi's anti-flicker harness that I'm still getting some flickering on high beam. I'll re-check all the connections tonight and see if it's just one light or both. Low beam seems to be fine, strangely.
Previous Jeeps: 1998 TJ Sport, 1999 XJ Cherokee
Old 08-10-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Mine are bright at each end as well.

I haven't noticed any flicking on high beam. Just check the connections as it's possible that that there is a loose or dirty connection there.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 03-12-2018
I just registered

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Sorry to bump, but I've just installed the Stedi lights as well (look great but are flickering). Runnig my DLR's off the parking light at the moment.

Rather than the anti flicker harness, there is a dealer code that can be flashed so the lights get a steady 12V from the TIPM.

I went to the dealer in Wangara thought, and he said I was talking rubbish, said he'd never flashed it for any LED install he's done and made me feel like an idiot, so I won't be going back there.

Anyone had any experience getting the code flashed rather than using adapters?

Instructions for the Mopar upgrade attached to show the code does exist.

Old 04-12-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Wow, that’s really interesting. Much better option than having to wire in the anti-flicker modules. Let us know how you go getting it done. I’ll talk to my service guys when it goes in next too. Great find!
Old 04-12-2018
I just registered

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

After trying phoning another dealer and getting no luck, I was about to contact Jeep Australia....but then I came googled an app for the laptop that looks either very promising or dodgy as frig!

https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/

It can apparently do a lot of stuff, like DRL's, TPMS etc....as well, I've heard, of setting the ECU for LED headlights.

It's going to take up to 24 hours for an email link apparently.

At ~$70AUD (I already own a few OBD adapters), it's hopefully going to be cheaper than a trip to the dealer.

Either that or it just doesn't work or fries my ECU.

I'll update on my results either way
Post New Thread  Reply