Locka or winch????????? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Question Polls
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: What would you do first?
Locka 83 56.85%
Winch 63 43.15%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-11-2007
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I went through this same dillema but was torn between the lift or ARB bullbar and winch.

I went the bar and winch as I have already taken out a few roos with my Vit and the bar saved me heaps on that so I decided it was an investment on the Jeep. Also, Most of the guys I usually wheel with play pretty hard and there was a few times I Needed one, like the day I put my Vitara on its side i wish i had been able to winch out. It's just nice security knowing it's in there.

The first Week I had the winch I made good use of it out on a trip with some of these guys when Murray broke his axel.

It also depends what locker you're looking at. If it's some cheapo one i would choose a winch but personally I don't see there is any choice other then air locker. That's another thread in itself though.

Ben
Old 23-11-2007
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you have got lockers and get stuck you will need a winch cos nobody else will be able to snatch ya out.
Old 25-11-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for all your input.

Ok 100% honest on how i use the car, Long remote trip...... 2 x a year if im lucky, but i do like belting up the beach to find a remote beach so i can let my dog run nuts.

Rock Krawling and trail driving. In winter almost every weekend and during the week sometimes.

My whole reason my brain is bugged is cause we re heading North in March and we plan on doing heaps of beach driving where we can, my mate im going with has not even bought his car yet and if were doing beach in Woop woop i reckon i need a winch.... Or will a locka be that good that i wont get stuck???? ;)
Old 25-11-2007
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EXTREME JEEP View Post
If you havnt done ratios then do winch. Ratios and lokkas first..
Don't think ill do Ratios .... Im happy with them and the tyres on there are as big as ill ever go... :)
Old 25-11-2007
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

not saying its the same for everyone ,ive done a lot of beach trips fraser ,morton,straddy in various 4bs and if u let your tyres down ive never been bogged in my jeep or anything with some clearance. ive tried to find the hardest path just to see what it can do,i think if your beach driving you will never need locker or winch. snatch strap will do should u get stuck.
Old 25-11-2007
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj69 View Post
not saying its the same for everyone ,ive done a lot of beach trips fraser ,morton,straddy in various 4bs and if u let your tyres down ive never been bogged in my jeep or anything with some clearance. ive tried to find the hardest path just to see what it can do,i think if your beach driving you will never need locker or winch. snatch strap will do should u get stuck.

Diesel Grand Laredo $40,000
3 inch lift $3,000
32inch rubber $1600

Look on my face when i let my mate drive it up the beach 60meters............................ Priceless!!!!

Not to be rude or sound like a hero but i have driven up the beach plenty and i agree its hard to get stuck with a bit of clearance however ... Poo happens! ;)
Old 25-11-2007
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Winch is fairly useless on a beach, no winching point unless you have one of those ground anchors. If you are going with another vehicle, a snatch strap is the best option for recovery. As long as you dont dig yourself to the chassis rails, most sand recoverys are very easy.

A locker does make sand driving easier, I like driving on the sand in 2WD with the locker on. But the benefits are not as great as in other types of terrain (rocks and ruts esp.)