WJ: Hammertone's Build Thread - '05 4.7HO Overland - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-12-2015
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Pinstripes can be fixed, just youtube and supercheap it or alternatively vinyl it yourself. I bought an 20m roll from the states and diy'd it.

I'll be ripping off my carpet shortly as I discovered that it's still damp and muddy from 2 yrs ago! I'm lining it up with rhino liner and washable antimicrobial carpet cut to size as in the wranglers.

Copy and paste the https full youtube video address for video. Works from chrome but not safari or the app if using iPads.....go figure.

Eg:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jipnVs1pU!6
Old 20-02-2016
Jedi Master

Check out my Ride(s)

Any updates? Must be quite busy at the homefront, ae?
Old 22-03-2016
Established Member

Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts

Yes! I sure do have some updates! Trying to get the time to post about them has been tough though.

So I went ahead with one of the more major mods I think the car will see which is to lift it the full 3" with the gear I purchased way back last year sometime. Here's what went in:
-Shocks - Bilstein 5100s
-Springs - Dobinsons. Front: #C29-024 raised HD. Rear #C29-031 Raised HD. The rear's aren't in their catalogue and you will need to ask about them when speaking to someone at their head office. I had to wait a little while they were made. I don't know of anyone else who has tried these so it was a bit of a gamble on my part, but one that turned out real well.
-Iron Rock adjustable track bar
-Iron Rock extended rear sway bar links
-New front end suspension bushes

I was freaking out about doing the bushes as everything i'd read pointed to them being near impossible to get in and out. I bought one of these bushing puller kits from ebay. Honestly, it was the best money I've ever spent. The first bush I approached with a little trepidation, and 30 seconds later the job was done. Simple.
Good thing I did them too as I found a couple with the inner sleeve torn away from the rubber. The only problem I had was that I thought that the lower arm had the same bushing on both ends (as does the top arm), but it doesn't. There's a round one and an oval one. So the oval ones didn't get done, but i'll have to get back to them soon as I've got a little clunking happening.

The rest of the install went great, just took my time and enjoyed the weekend doing it. I have a pic here of the new spring compared to the stock one with the 2" spacer. They're the same height uncompressed, but as you can imagine, they end up a lot different under load.

The height before I installed this lift was around 490mm plus or minus 5mm. This was with the original springs and 2" spacers. Post-lift i'm now riding at 530mm all round. So the yanks class the original height at 18" and 530mm is just shy of 21", which means I've achieved my goal of a 3" lift.

The ride is fantastic. The springs are great, not too hard at all, but most noticeably is the smooth feel of the Bilsteins. The whole car is much more planted and direct and I've really lost a lot of the wallowy feel when cornering, and no death wobbles! I'm really happy with it.

As well as this, I've plasti-dipped the badges and the chrome trim along the doors. Just a small detail that will go a long way when I get to the other cosmetic items on my list.

Speaking of which, my to-do list has had some serious modification of it's own. I'll get to that in another post!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	springs.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	73637   Click image for larger version

Name:	post lift1.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	73638   Click image for larger version

Name:	post lift2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	73639  

Last edited by Hammertone; 22-03-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 22-03-2016
Jedi Master

Check out my Ride(s)

Looking good.

Glad that you're DW free
Old 23-03-2016
Established Member

So obviously the next step is tyres. I'll be going with 32" (or as near to) mud tyres.

These will be going on 16" black soft 8 rims. Dynamic can supply but it'll have to be a special order as the 0 offset I'm after makes them an unusual size.

And with all this ive got myself a set of bushwacker flares from murchisons. This should all go ahead I the next month or two. Looking forward to letting the angle grinder loose on some panels!
Old 31-03-2016
Established Member

I'm currently working on a rear bar. With the tyres on ill just scrape under a 2M height clearance in car parks, so I cant carry the tyre around on the roof anymore and need to stick it on the rear.

I'm mocking up the design in coreflute while cadding in on the computer. Its coming along well. Thinking of starting a build thread for it.

Once the tyres are on, ill look at some paint protection and then a stereo upgrade. I'll be working a bit of overtime if I hope to get all that done this year!
Old 31-03-2016
Jedi Master

Check out my Ride(s)

It's never a good idea to have the tyre on the roof anyway. How does one carry it up and down the roof rack without hurting one's back I don't know. Not to mention the aerody drag and negative fuel economy, better to have it in the boot if no where else to stick it to.

Waiting to read up your rear bar build. If you want to import one, the one from Poland looks fantastic with provision for a rear winch.

Last edited by Tyvokka; 01-04-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply