Why do You Own a XJ - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-08-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

When I first started in my line of work full time, we had a new '94 XJ, which I drove a lot over the next 12 months we had it. I subsequently drove many more for work '94-'98. I always liked their simplicity, their compact dimensions good for narrow tracks and the city and their off-road ability out of the box. Oh and while an ancient design by the time they finally came out in Oz, a sophisticated 4WD system, plenty of poke and a cool retro look.
I always liked the last of the XJs, the Classic, for its looks. Can't explain why; often I hate the face-lift version of a car.
This is my second XJ Classic; I shouldn't have sold the first one really.
Even though parts are getting harder to find, it is still a relatively cheap 4WD to run, simple to work on.
I spent a lot on turning my last one into a weekend off-road 4WD tourer and tow vehicle but I haven't even got a towbar on this one. It is standard except for the all-terrain tyres... for now.
Old 24-08-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None

I changed jobs and just wanted a cheap run about as I get the train to work. I previously had a vw touareg diesel, which was nice but too good to sit there hardly driven.
The xj was the only car that ticked all the boxes for what I wanted. Simple, cheap parts, great size to have the dog in the back, and could tow my suzuki sierra.
I also really like the look of the xj, mine is a 98 and I think the update model has aged really well. Theres still no new equivalent to the XJ, my plan is to hold on to it and eventually put it on club rego.
Old 25-08-2018
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing your story Everyone it seems we all have simular opinions .........
I fear that as time goes on we are becoming a minority on or off the road.............
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 26-08-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
Thanks for sharing your story Everyone it seems we all have simular opinions .........
I fear that as time goes on we are becoming a minority on or off the road.............
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
It'll happen, but then in 5 to 10 years people will want back in. They have a bit of charisma about them the old XJ.
Old 26-08-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

have owned various 4wds for 40yrs

moved to larger ones when I had 3 kids, but dont need that now

An XJ would be too small for 3 in the back, (especially if they are 6ft+)..but 2 would be ok. I can sleep in mine

An XJ is cheap to buy....MUCH cheaper than comparable age & quality vehicles such as Toyota, Nissan, Jackaroo

It is better quality imo than similar priced vehicles such as Pajero, Landrover

They are more long-lived, cheaper and easier to work on, and have better parts & forum support (due to US popularity)

An XJ is easy to modify

They are somewhat smaller & therefore use less fuel than most comparable vehicles (imagine fuel economy being an XJ selling point lol)

an XJ is potent off-road...and cheap..in my experience, I would not like to have a very expensive off-road vehicle, due to panel & other damage off-road (and I am fairly careful)

It doesnt matter if your 4wd cost $1500. I can get a panel from the wrecker for $100. That will not be the case with a newer unit

Last edited by awg; 26-08-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 29-08-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 185 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
I can see the day where (if these cars are well maintained), they will sell for a small mint - due to declining numbers. It has happened with the Wagoneer in the US. I manage to turn heads with my Cherokee which is close to stock and I usually get questions about it. I took 3 people I knew (from a mutual friend) to the airport recently and they could not stop asking questions about it. They felt like they were sitting in a true legend of car. I have had this happen before I might add with others. It is an experience to be driven in one, much less to drive one!
Old 01-09-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
I can see the day where (if these cars are well maintained), they will sell for a small mint - due to declining numbers. It has happened with the Wagoneer in the US. I manage to turn heads with my Cherokee which is close to stock and I usually get questions about it. I took 3 people I knew (from a mutual friend) to the airport recently and they could not stop asking questions about it. They felt like they were sitting in a true legend of car. I have had this happen before I might add with others. It is an experience to be driven in one, much less to drive one!
I want to make mine a pristine example of one. Am getting rid of my arb bar and going to a stocker, gonna get my roof retrimmed, I also wanna repaint my roof where the clearcoat has faded and died.... I want mine to be a survivor. Cooked thing is, both of my cars have very good future prospects to make money. The cherokee is weird and boxy/old at this stage, especially for a daily, and my renaultsport clio 172 is lauded as the best hot hatch of the 00's (hopefully will go like 205 gti prices, ie 25k pounds) so yeah. Interesting garage I have...
Post New Thread  Reply