Dobinsons Lift Kit - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts
Default Dobinsons Lift Kit

Hey all.

Is anyone here running a full Dobinsons lift kit on their Commander?

http://www.dobinsonsprings.com/4x4-v...ander/jeep-57/

They list it as a 40mm kit, but as I understand it, Dobinsons always understate their actual lift heights, with some people getting around 60-75mm on their lifts, even taking stock spring sag into account.

There is also a kit listed for the WH Grand Cherokee, which are exactly the same part numbers, but called a 45mm lift obviously due to the lighter weight:

http://www.dobinsonsprings.com/4x4-v...rokee/jeep-56/

The reason I ask is that I am looking at an unused second hand full kit for a bargain price, but it's the standard duty springs, not the HD designed for a constant load. I am not running any bars, winch or rear drawers or anything heavy at the moment, but I want to set this thing up for remote touring over the next year or so, so anything could be on the cards. I will also mostly be towing our ~1500kg loaded camper trailer on trips.

I don't really want to buy the SD springs and then find out that they sag badly under a bit of load, but likewise I don't want to buy the HD springs and then find it rides like a bucket of shit when unloaded and/or doesn't flex properly.

Bomber mentions something about the rear end being a bit stiff in some of his threads with his Dobinsons springs/Bilstein shocks combo from ATS:

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ight=Dobinsons

(Dobinsons quoted 25-30mm for his prototype lift and he ended up with 60mm front and 70mm back!!)

I know Murchison Products recommend their HD coils in the rear of the Commander regardless of load, but I'm not sure about Dobinsons.

Any help on this would be great.

BTW - I was originally thinking of going with the CRDStu lift, but now I see that not only has the price gone up by $100, there's now a postage fee (only $25) and they no longer post to anywhere in WA outside of Perth Metro (I'm 420kms away from Perth and about to be further). So that would be $1,675, plus a day in the car (or freight $$), plus installation of at least the front springs = too expensive. I could have the Dobinsons kit for under half of that, or ARB/OME for around $1,350 locally.

Cheers,
Hanna
Old 05-05-2015
MudSplasher

Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

I don't know about Dobinsons, but if they're anything like the OME HD springs I run, they ain't very heavy duty.

I fitted Poly Air's in the back of mine in preparation for the rear bar & swinger, fortunately the bar ended up not being as heavy as I thought, but the Poly Air's have still paid for themselves when ever I've loaded the rear end up and hooked up my camper trailer for a trip.

I know Dave (valpacer) suffered the same thing when he fitted his Saguero bar way back when, he said the same thing to me that it dived a lot in the arse when the weight was added.

Given your intentions with the vehicle, try and find yourself a set of HD springs, and then look at some air bags for the rear when trips come around.

Last edited by JRJ33P; 05-05-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-05-2015
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I fitted Murchison HD all round when I first got mine, it was my first mod & it was a mistake! This is why.

Not knowing much about modding a 4wd back then I fitted the HD lift knowing that a Bull Bar & kitted out rear was the plan. Well the plan took longer then I intended

The rear with no weight in it had very limited flex, great on road but without the weight they were designed to support the rear was way to solid/stiff.
Same thing with the front, without the bar the front would skip on corrugation's.

The front's right now, in fact I would say its dam near perfect with on road manners & off road ability. It did drop 10/15mm when the bare was fitted but I see Stu has spacers to compensate for that now.

I ended up swapping out the rear springs for some medium Old Man Emu ones I got from James when he went H/D. The rear articulation I got back was fantastic, so much so that I now need to fit bump stops to stop the rubbing when flexing
I tow my van with this setup as well, up to 200kg on the tow bar & my 40l fridge & camping chairs in the cargo area. Sits nice & handles well on the road but the rear does bob up & down a bit more when towing compared to Stu's HD springs but nothing to be concerned about.

Pic is with M/D OME rear springs, no air bags & no WDH.

If the Dobinsons kit is the right price I say go for it, if the rear sits lower or sags when loaded more then you like I can send you my CRDSTU H/D rears to try but I won't post them! You will have to come & pick them up
(only joking )
Old 06-05-2015

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thumbs up

I running the standard dobinson 2 inch lift in my commander and basically i have had no dramas with it at all.
It originally lifted her 65mm in the front and 55 mm rear but now its settled a bit im looking around 45-50mm all round.
She rides nice on and off road and normally when i go camping, ive got a fully loaded 7x5 trailer and five people.
Old 06-05-2015
Jeepin' is incurable....

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

The Dobinsons springs did settle down in height, but I never re-measured to know exactly how much.

They are very stiff in the rear, so much so the WK with QL is a pleasure to drive. We did Cape York and Gibb River Rd plus Mitchell Falls and other side treks last year. I can't imagine how harsh some of those roads would have been at speed in the Commander.

I still have the full original set (OME) - if you need new suspension and don't care abouth the lift let me know.

The Dobinsons did handle the weight in the rear just fine. Waeco 50L and off-road gear in boot, van at 200kg on the ball and suspension held up just fine. It rode well without the load but you did feel speed humps!
Old 07-05-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Thanks guys - much appreciated!

Sounds like the Standard Duty Dobinsons kit might be a goer. Especially as it may be a while before I have it fully set up and bar work is just a bit of fantasy at the moment driven by JRJ33P's awesome set up! A rear bar, carrier and an LRA tank would be the ultimate goal and that would need upgraded springs for sure I reckon.

If it turns out that it's too bouncy or sags in the rear when towing, I will just add a set of airbags later on.

Bomber - were your Dobinsons springs the SD or HD?
Old 07-05-2015
Jeepin' is incurable....

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

Hanna that distinction didn't exist, mine were the first. They were simply "Commander" ones. That came later, when they realised that the WH and XH used different spring rates from the factory, so while mine now would be HD, technically the SD are for the car which is lighter in the rear end as it doesn't have seats over the axle.

Your profile and signature pic both say WJ. I presume you now have an XH in the shed? The kits you discuss won't fit under a WJ...
Post New Thread  Reply