Smart Key Fail (car will not start) - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KL Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-02-2022
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KL
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Smart Key Fail (car will not start)

Hi guys
My Cherokee Longitude (2016) karked out today.
Door opened fine, but when pressing the Start button, there was no response.
I recall a part message on dash relating to steering lock, but that went away.
Then I also got a 'Smart Key Fail' error that seems to be more persistent.
So...steering locked, handbrake on and cannot start the Jeep.

1. Had roadside replace the battery - no change
2. Tried 2xclick to start remotely - no go
3. Tried pressing keyfob against push start button - no go
4. Another spare keyfob doesn't work either
5. Car will lock/unlock. Flashers work. Rear lift will open/close. Emergency flashers will work

Car now towed into Jeep dealer service centre and they tell me that it will be TWO weeks before they can even LOOK at the car. Geez!

Trying to find out what the problem could be and if anyone else has had this issue and what was done to resolve it.

Trouble is that this is my business car and I desperately need it to see customers every day - big impact on my earning capacity to wait two weeks - rather peeved about that!!

Thanks in advance
Clive
Old 03-03-2022
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default smart key fail error fixed

The final outcome is as follows as reported by Jeep service:

Start/stop ignition not working

'smart key fail error'

REPLACE STEERING COLUMN MODULE

REPLACE BOLT SAFETY LOCK

So it appears that there is a module in/on the steering column that engages, unlocking the steering wheel first before supplying power to the ignition circuit

Total cost of 'module = AU$723 + AU$450 labour
Old 19-04-2022
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

My issue was fixed relatively quickly - car towed in on a Tuesday morning & I got it back Thursday afternoon.

Total cost for me was AU$829 parts + AU$840 labour (Adelaide City Jeep).

The Jeep dealer told me this is not an uncommon failure, they don't know why the module fails and that there is no recall action for this issue.

Apparently this guy was able to fix the issue himself & get the car started:
https://www.jeepcherokeeclub.com/thr.../#post-2994480

2015 Silver KL Trailhawk
Old 20-04-2022
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveB View Post
The final outcome is as follows as reported by Jeep service:

Start/stop ignition not working

'smart key fail error'

REPLACE STEERING COLUMN MODULE

REPLACE BOLT SAFETY LOCK

So it appears that there is a module in/on the steering column that engages, unlocking the steering wheel first before supplying power to the ignition circuit

Total cost of 'module = AU$723 + AU$450 labour
@CliveB
I've PMed you to get the name of the Jeep dealer who replaced your steering column module.

My dealer charged twice as much for labour than yours!

2015 Silver KL Trailhawk
Old 05-05-2022
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Had an interesting chat with a service tech from a Jeep dealer in WA.

Apparently this issue is not uncommon in Jeeps, but also occurs with other makes (he mentioned it being common with the Nissan 370Z).

He also mentioned that he knew of someone who got an auto electrician to bypass the steering lock so that starting the car wasn't reliant on the wheel unlocking.

I'm going to look into this.

2015 Silver KL Trailhawk
Old 09-08-2022
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Steering column module

How much is the normal cost to replace and reprogram the steering wheel module in a 2014 Jeep Cherokee KL. I have just been told $2300 for parts and $500+ for labour, should I find another mechanic? I’ve seen some On these threads have had a lower amount quoted for parts but they’ve said they need three parts to do the job.
Old 09-08-2022
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzy View Post
How much is the normal cost to replace and reprogram the steering wheel module in a 2014 Jeep Cherokee KL. I have just been told $2300 for parts and $500+ for labour, should I find another mechanic? I’ve seen some On these threads have had a lower amount quoted for parts but they’ve said they need three parts to do the job.
There are 2 other posts in this topic that give you actual costs for this - one from a WA dealer and one from an SA dealer.

Read the rest of the posts in this topic and you will have your answer.

2015 Silver KL Trailhawk
Post New Thread  Reply