Nulon 5-40 diesel oil - Page 11 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-01-2024
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 243 Times in 135 Posts

That difference may be from new or first fill as maybe a few areas of pooling in the block and oil channels. Perfect world should be none of course but plenty of areas to add up to the difference perhaps.
Old 30-01-2024
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,148 Times in 608 Posts

It is nuts that there is even an argument about what oil should be used. Unfortunately imo many aspects of the marketing of the WK2 in Oz has been controversial to many.

I would be curious to know what VM Motori recommended for their V6 diesel. I wonder too what Banks use in this same engine supplied to the Military. This You Tube video where Gale Banks was being interviewed mainly with reference to EGR's and DPF's on diesels, says in the video that all their Military engines have to pass a 400 hour NATO test, 85% of which is at full Torque or full horsepower. So the VM's must hold up to a hiding, but no doubt too, Banks will have filled the block with other goodies rather than stock std ex factory stuff...so what oil?

Old 30-01-2024
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,580 Times in 4,357 Posts

Not oils, but filters. I hope this does not include any jeeps!

Baldwin Australia have dropped 1113 unpopular products from their stock range. These filters will still be available until stocks run out, but after this the buy quantity to get from the USA will be in box lots.
Old 30-01-2024
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,323 Times in 761 Posts

Ok....oltimerz has kicked in...cant find my 'little bookaknowledge' or the thread here where I've stated 'how much' I put in mine...I KNOW I overfilled it a few services back but cant for the life of me find just what 'was good'...there are differing capacity levels after '13....I have ignored any U.S. Sites as they dont apply to ours...we do not have eco-diesels in Oz....quick google search gave me capacities from 7.4-10.1lts ffs....its DEFINITELY not either of those...I f####d up and put around 9lts in thinking it 'burn off' towing the 3t van on an adventure...that drowned the engine and filled the dpf...no catch can fitted at that stage (thnx again Jeeper6)....sooooo....Treebreaker or Southerncomfort or bjm I reckon are the fellas that have my 'model' and the experience of long term ownership of these older buses....which is it ?...7.8lt/8lt/8.4lt....full service oil n filter....completely understand that the 'ideal' measurement is slightly different for each engine...but....the old 'dipstick' chestnut raises its ugly head on that one....anybody got there little notebook handy ???

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 31-01-2024
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 844 Times in 472 Posts

The same problem deciphering oil quantities!Been putting in 8 litres in my 2012 GC Overland! Probably 500 mill over the dipstick mark.! Havnt had any problems.
Reading the b….dy dipstick does need patience.Night, day,overnight,level has a mind of its own.! Geez I think the manual states nine litres!Typical Jeep info!BS.
Old 31-01-2024
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,947 Times in 2,329 Posts

Mine takes 7.5lts and using my own dip stick no wicking up the stick when i dip, the earlier models take a little bit more I seem to recall ........... My oil is spec @ CK4/E9 and 10W40 grade, no more to fuss about........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 31-01-2024
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,323 Times in 761 Posts

Thanx fellas....bjm can 'real time' state that 9lts WILL flood the intake with oil and eventually block the dpf...(besides whatever other damage it causes)...if no catch can is fitted....ok...my terminolgy may be a 'tad' exaggerated but in my defence I'm both male AND an ex-fisho....the 'elephants nose' was wet for the first time of my ownership and there was about 3mm depth of oil 'sitting' at the low point of the 'nose'.....genuinely dont want to think of how the intake manifold looks....oh dear.
Drover we have spoken about the 'decrease' in capacities after '13 and nobody had a 'solid' reason as to why...I fully respect your call on the capacity for those later models.
I can remember I didnt use a 'round' figure of 8lts and am leaning towards 8.4lt as when I did overfill it with 9ish my thoughts were...'no biggies' first long adventure towing 3t so a bit over wont hurt....wrong again...mine doesnt/didnt burn oil...but..having said that I did top-up recently...added Moreys as I've been slack and the service interval is past 10k...please dont crucify me for that one...havnt had time to 'scratch me rrrrs' let alone service the car...poor chariot is being tortured in a new role as daily mobile observation post...idling round for hours at a time....HAD to take it for a 'blast' yesty as the mileage gauge indicator was simply 'full block' on the evic....poor thing couldnt breathe....20+klm round trip at 'hiway' speed to achieve a REAL burn and it was back to 8's....sooooooooo.....long story bout nuthin but this service will be oil n filter job and a very short service cycle before another oil n filter change pre-adventure....seiously wouldnt consider an adventure on a sump full of 'burn' diesel, which it will have with its current use, even after this service....fingers crossed my 'greed' doesnt cost me an engine.....and then there's the 'what do I buy now' question

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Post New Thread  Reply