Blown up my CRD - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 18-12-2008
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

As I mentioned , nissan 3L are doing this ,even stock & the 3L merc motor puts out a lot more.Theyre pretty stressed as stock so it doesnt take much to do this.
Burnt valves & melted pistons/heads are result of high combustion temps.
On t/diesel this is caused by high boost + fuel.This is why any increase in fuel or boost should be closely monitored with exhaust pyrometer.
Even on stock motor a pyro will let you know if theres a problem before anything else.
Exhaust backpressure is another cause of high comb temps & if the vari-nozzle turbo stuck in small side it could cause temps to skyrocket, power would be way down aswell tho.
Look at nissan or toyota's big 6cyl t/diesels ,they have modest power & so are understressed.They can take quite a bit more power or suffer from poor fuel, blocked exaust,etc without blowing up cause the safety margins are so big.
The new crop of td's have very small safety margins as they attempt to get more power/efficiency.

Last edited by turbomart; 18-12-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 18-12-2008
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP jeep View Post
OK, I now wish to change my opinion.

"I have no doubt that a vehicle with full service history, 10k and 1 month out of warranty and a DP chip would ever end up in a better outcome."

How nice of you to leave off such an important fact when dragging a manufacture through the mud.
Some people may be better suited to seat in government.
I think your lucky they offered to pay 50%
It would be next to impossible to determine the exact cause of such a failure.
Without the aftermarket chip you would have had a very good chance of getting it covered 100%.
I have personally seen many Grands with these motors, well over 100,000km. Some may have smaller niggling issues but I have never seen one do that.
The same motor in the 300c is very popular as airport transfer vehicles. I have seen over 15 different vehicles with over 200,000km on them without catastropic failure.
Contact Andrew at Berrima Diesel Service +61 02 48771022 he is a Mechanical Engineer and member of Aust Institute of Engineers and discuss with him how you think a DP chip can cause my engine to be damaged. He has won every case against OEM's when they make claims such as yours. He will explain how it works and how it cannot override any characteristics of the engine..So you do this before you shoot you mouth off. Looking on my past posts you will see I have had a DP chip, roof racks, over sized 255 instead of 245 tyres. When you can prove to me and anyone else how something works with factual engineering not just random comments maybe then I will listen to what you have to say. If they (DP-Chip) were not going to warranty their product or damaged caused by I would have pulled it off before I sent it to DC. I wonder how many chips are on vehicles out there that have had an engine blow up 10 k over warranty. I don't think they would be in business for long would they? (Chip manufactures)

So how do you explain that the a very senior manager at DC has told me that on two occasions with CRD engine the ECM controlling fuel injection failed therefor turning on fuel injectors continually and on a common rail engine fuel at 1600 bar this will cause a catastrophic failure. This was told to me two weeks ago before my engine was dismantled. Geez I wonder if the same thing could have happened here? lets find out hey.

Or maybe I'll just find out and remove this post, but I thought some off you with CRD's would like to know what happened. If I'm at fault here I can live with it. But I want to know what happened. I was told to pay $1500 .00 to have the engine removed, inspected and report provided and now they wont tell me what caused engine failure. So I guess you can shove 50% you know where!

The main issue here is will DC stand by their product if a failure occurred due to faulty parts and workmanship, and especially after I made mention of engine knocking noises whilst it was still under warranty.

Last edited by jenkomagic; 18-12-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 18-12-2008
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,926 Times in 2,318 Posts

So CP Jeep you must have an interest in DC but don't have a Jeep ???? as this post has certainly fired you up.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 19-12-2008
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

This thread stays open if we play Nice!!!

I think there is some good information in this thread....

jenkomagic if you have an issue feel free to P.M me with any concerns

Hemi
Old 20-12-2008
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP jeep View Post
And of course the guy in the front line will say its not covered in the first conversation.
What is it guilty until proven innocent??? Having been through all the dishonoured warranty rubbish myself (not with DC, a 3rd party provider), I can't stand that type of attitude!! If you're not sure if it'll be covered, just say that.

Honestly, I can see why jenko would be seriously pissed off about all this. It's a massively expensive repair to have to do and certainly NOT something you'd expect on a car of that age! I don't think he's been too unreasonable on here with his posts but if he was, i'd understand why.

Last edited by bikemat; 20-12-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 20-12-2008
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was told by the service manager that the the Chrysler Engineer who inspected my engine reported that the "ECU controlling the fuel injectors has failed". This could led to a injector(s) being continually feed fuel throughout the piston stroke cycle, which would quickly melt a piston(s). As per initial thought, as injectors on a modern common rail engine are electromagnetically operated.This is the same fault that was relayed to me via a Senior Chrysler manager when I asked him if he was aware of any other major faults with this engine over 3 weeks ago, which in his words "melted a couple of pistons" in a 300C CRD

Chrysler Aust will not admit the DP-Chip was responsible when I asked them.

The fact that the vehicle is 11K out of warranty is the sole reason they will not fix this engine 100% at their cost. The 50% is an act of "Good Will"

They will not provide any written evidence of that conversation in a report.
All email correspondence starts with "Without Prejudice" .

I have requested a written detailed quotation with terms and conditions,
break down of costs for parts and labour and reasons for replacement to have the vehicle restored to OEM standard.

I would assume that the ECU will have to be in that quotation.

So, am I still being unreasonable?

Last edited by jenkomagic; 20-12-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 20-12-2008
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemat View Post
What is it guilty until proven innocent??? Having been through all the dishonoured warranty rubbish myself (not with DC, a 3rd party provider), I can't stand that type of attitude!!

Honestly, I can see why jenko would be seriously pissed off about all this. It's a massively expensive repair to have to do and certainly NOT something you'd expect on a car of that age! I don't think he's been too unreasonable on here with his posts but if he was, i'd understand why.
Thanks mate I appreciate your support.
Post New Thread  Closed Thread