GPS and Map Updates - Page 13 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd92ta View Post
Correct! 5sp + 5" scren - RHP head unit. I have been online for most of today and learned that these headunits are referred to as MYGIG units (I think .. .feel free to corect me!), and this site seems to cater for these untis:
https://mygig-disk.com/download-rhp.php

I presume you burn the ISO file to DVD, insert into unit and after some prompting, an update occurs.

Does anyone know if there is a forum group somewhere that spells out dates against updates and a formal procedure? The C300 and Charger forums are pointers that others reference.

Thanks for your help all

Geoff
My 12 Overland has the same setup, I searched for ages hoping there would be some mods for the thing, however gave up and continue to use Google Maps. I only used the onboard Nav once and it took me for the scenic route.
Old 08-06-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 235 Times in 132 Posts

Folks, the uConnect 5.x" are also in the Alfa cars and a lot of work in modding them to allow the upload the NaviServer2 (same server as 8.4) and then they add their current maps in the same way described here. So if you want to mod these units, the info is all on the Alfa forums I am afraid and cannot assist further.
Old 08-06-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I'm sure the head unit is fine ... it appears to be one of the last units made as yours probably would be .. .we just need to know the map types it references, how to get to them and then we can fomalise a procedure to update! I do this for my portable iGO based unit ... how hard can it be!

Does anyone know the map base for MYGIG systems? iGO? Garmin? Navtek?
Old 08-06-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks Mousie ... worries me that someone as knowledgeable as you is giving up on it ... that's a real worry!!!
Old 15-07-2020
I just registered

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default GPS and Map Updates

I’ve given up waiting for Jeep to ever provide regular uConnect map updates.

Found a local guy in Perth who developed an Android Auto/CarPlay retrofit module that hooks into uConnect on the older 8.4” uConnect that doesn’t have factory CP/AA like the MY14/15 (and 16?). Not a cheap solution but cheaper than replacing your uConnect with newer MY screen/hardware/modules and works pretty well overall.

Factory reverse camera still works normally.

Kit is largely plug and play but does require opening the uConnect display module to insert an extra ribbon cable to get touch input and add an extra video signal to the touchscreen. No cutting or splicing required. Everything else is plug/play.

Has a few limitations and isn’t quite as perfect as the factory CarPlay/Android Auto in more recent model years but you still retain full standard uConnect functionality and can easily switch between the AA/CP module and uConnect by pressing and holding the Back or steering wheel input button. Uses Aux input on uConnect for audio and uses it’s own microphone and antennas for wireless CarPlay and GPS. Has a separate USB input for connecting your phone with cable for Android Auto or CarPlay so doesn’t affect the uConnect USB either if you want to be able to switch back.

Limitations:
- No steering wheel function button integration at the moment but otherwise works quite well just using the uConnect touch screen for all input. Not quite handsfree if you just want to be able to use steering wheel buttons as usual. Don’t need to touch your phone for anything so legally handsfree I guess. Press and hold the home button on CarPlay to launch Siri or press/hold button on Android Auto to launch google Assistant from the touch screen but I’m sure “Hey Siri” or “ok Google” voice prompts probably work fine too. (I don’t use either personally)

- Aspect ratio on CarPlay is a little stretched looking but isn’t really that noticeable once you get used to it. Looks fine to me on Android Auto.

- Uses Aux input on uConnect for audio from the module so you always have to set UConnect to Aux if you want sound. If you want to listen to the radio, you still can set the sound input to AM/FM and switch to video from the module but you won’t get any sound. I.e no turn-by-turn navigation prompts from Google Maps or Waze etc while on radio.

- Sensitivity of the uConnect touchscreen means you have to press harder than a smartphone screen to swipe left/right etc. Use same force as a regular uConnect screen press.

- Can still use uConnect for phone calls but you’d need to switch back to uConnect to answer the call instead of using Android Auto or CarPlay or you won’t get any call audio due to it routing through the uConnect Bluetooth system. I just unpaired my iPhone from uConnect and use CarPlay for calls instead which works fine.

- You don’t see any Climate Control overlays when changing temperatures etc while in AA/CP but the controls all work normally in the background. You can always hold Back button to quickly toggle to the uConnect interface to access the “controls” or anything in the uConnect “apps” menus as normal. AA/CP continues to run in the background even when on the regular uConnect screen. If you change the audio input back to FM radio or plug your phone into the factory USB, UConnect continues to work as per standard uConnect media player. Fairly seamless that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Silvarbullit; 15-07-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 16-03-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 345 Times in 181 Posts

it would be great if some learned person was able to do Mousie’s upgdade to our navigation systems .For us plebs that lack the expertise to do all the required coding a sd car or disc with all the required data would be great.
Just shows you if Jeep really wanted to make an upgraded map for us with older uconnect units they could.
Old 03-08-2021
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

hi all, has anyone experienced Bluetooth locking up on audio streaming? head unit says my device has failed yet the phone is still streaming the audio
Post New Thread  Reply