ZJ wheels on an XJ - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-06-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by East-Gippsland-XJCherokee View Post
I have found a set of 4 alloy factory Ford Territory wheels and tyres locally, I like the setup you have with the steel rims, but alloys should work the same? No probs getting the dremel tool out to make them fit center wise.
Unless you're going to run spacers you may (will) find that you get more rubbing on the insides, the Territory rims have 4.5mm more BS meaning your tyres are 4.5mm closer to the control arms and wheel wells, even with 30x9.50-15s (exact same width as stock just taller) I get rubbing on the spring seats, inside the rear wheel wells, front bash plate, lower control arms etc, this only applies if you flex, the more lift (assuming equal flex) the more rubbing AND that's before you fit larger tyres....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 14-06-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 108 Times in 60 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
Unless you're going to run spacers you may (will) find that you get more rubbing on the insides, the Territory rims have 4.5mm more BS meaning your tyres are 4.5mm closer to the control arms and wheel wells, even with 30x9.50-15s (exact same width as stock just taller) I get rubbing on the spring seats, inside the rear wheel wells, front bash plate, lower control arms etc, this only applies if you flex, the more lift (assuming equal flex) the more rubbing AND that's before you fit larger tyres....
I currently run 15x7 factory steel wheels with 31 muddies and about 3.5'' to 4'' lift, no rubbing with them on/off road, but do hit when steering is fully locked. But seeing I do most of my driving on road and wanting a taller tyre than 31 it looks like a good option, I was thinking about fitting a 6mm wheel spacer to stop the hitting of the front tyres when fully locked. There is not all that much other options when it comes to 16'' or 17'' rims (please do share if there is).

Cheers
Old 14-06-2016
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
I currently run 15x7 factory steel wheels with 31 muddies and about 3.5'' to 4'' lift, no rubbing with them on/off road, but do hit when steering is fully locked. But seeing I do most of my driving on road and wanting a taller tyre than 31 it looks like a good option, I was thinking about fitting a 6mm wheel spacer to stop the hitting of the front tyres when fully locked. There is not all that much other options when it comes to 16'' or 17'' rims (please do share if there is).

Cheers
I was looking at running 265x70x17 AT tyres, somewhat taller than a 31 mud tyre, but less noise and will last longer.
Old 14-06-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
I was looking at running 265x70x17 AT tyres, somewhat taller than a 31 mud tyre, but less noise and will last longer.
And rub somewhat more unless you bumpstop more to limit the flex...

Your turning circle will also increase noticably too...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 14-06-2016
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
And rub somewhat more unless you bumpstop more to limit the flex...

Your turning circle will also increase noticably too...
All can be addressed, but finding rims bigger than 15'' in diameter is more of a problem, hence when I read using Ford Territory rims and modding the center hole I just had to ask the questions on here. Wheels spacers might have to be used and probably would burn out the Bunnings dremel tool, but more than willing to put up with all that in the search for a taller rim, I like the steel Territory rims, but living far East Gippsland the cost of sourcing rims becomes tricky budget wise, but found a set of alloy Territory wheels locally. I drove into town and asked the local tyre joint, and the bloke nearly had a heart attack when I asked him about fitting 16'' or 17'' rims to the Cherokee. So did a search on here to see what others had done.
Old 14-06-2016
Trail Twister

Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

I have been looking into this option for a while. Been searching for a 16 inch rim with a little less backspace. I have come to the conclusion to maybe re-barrel some steel rims or to import some TJ Rubicon "Moab" style wheels. They can be had in 15 or 16 inch.

Old 14-06-2016
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynuts View Post
I have been looking into this option for a while. Been searching for a 16 inch rim with a little less backspace. I have come to the conclusion to maybe re-barrel some steel rims or to import some TJ Rubicon "Moab" style wheels. They can be had in 15 or 16 inch.

I can always have a set of steel sunraysia made up, as I am sure there must be mobs in Australia doing them to peoples offset/backspacing, although by the time I get them shipped to where I am the cost could be a bit on the high side. I have emailed the person that has a set of Territory rims up for sale in town, and if they are still up for sale I will go and have a look and measure them, I have never used wheel spacers but could always use them to give some more clearance. And the center hole being smaller should be no problem as that's not that hard to open up. If I had money to burn I would just order some rims made up, but damn the rims will be more than what I paid for my XJ LOL.
Post New Thread  Reply