Lift and Tyres of your JK - Page 13 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2010
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts

adustable panhard rods are illegal i am pretty sure, at least they use to be.

As for different length rods, every jeep is different otherwise they probably could do something like that
Old 13-07-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Adjustables

High North Coast
I went to QLD Transport re the adjustable Panhard,s, they said they were fine. I also asked in writing about adjustable control arms, where I had two responses -
1. If a lift caused the castor outside of dealer settings to a point where you needed to change it, then the lift is deemed to be accessive for that vehicle, even if within the 30% lift rule.
2. Adjustable components are able to be used, however they must be adjusted to the original lengths / specifications for the vehicle from the
manufacturer. If a suspension lift has resulted in disruption of the
castor, it would suggest that the lift is excessive for the design of the
vehicle and should be adjusted.

However bolt on brackets like the panhard relocation, control arm drop brackets, high steer kits are illegal, unless they are an option provided by the dealer. So if Mopar optioned these things, then we could use them.

In QLD, you can only lift a vehicle by 30% of the distance between the two bumpstops, the distance being measured while the vehicle sitting there, and not by wheel travel. This means that in the front, you can only legally lift a JK by about 20mm. I am not sure on QT Transports take on the Mopar lift 2" lift then. So i would suggest Qt are a little confused about the rules as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Coast Wrangler View Post
adustable panhard rods are illegal i am pretty sure, at least they use to be.

As for different length rods, every jeep is different otherwise they probably could do something like that
Old 13-07-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Very interesting research jktom. As for the max lift, wouldnt the 30% rule apply to max height option from the dealer? ie, 30% more than bumpstop height with the 2in springs? Might be a long stretch, but dont Jeep provide 4 inch lifts in the states? Could argue that it was designed to be lifted to 4 inches by the manufacturer

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 13-07-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts

With your statements Jktom then any lift at all on a Jeep is illegal due to the castor being unable to be adjusted from standard settings as well as the fitting of adjustable arms is also illegal as you have adjusted them to a different length.

Also try getting original bumpstop specifications from any manufacturer they don't exist.
Old 13-07-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Begs the question if there actually is a listed caster angle in the manual? Since its not designed to be adjustable would they even bother listing specifications for it? Or do they list an acceptable range? (Dont have a service manual so wouldnt know.)

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 13-07-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Qt

My comments are not my opinion, they are straight off the modification document from the QT website, or a copy and paste from an email, from an engineer from QT in relation to modifications. The email clearly says that you can use adjustable components (my question was related to JKS LCA's) to adjust back to factory specifications such as castor. The 30% rule says something like you can only increase your ride height by 30% of wheel travel, and wheel travel is measured at rest between the bumpstops, it does not mention asking the manufacturer for the specifications. From memory a new JK has about 60mm space in the front between the two bump stops, so that leaves room for a 20mm lift. There has been much debate on how to measure wheel travel, such as jacking the car up, and let it down to full droop, take that measurment, then use 30% of that, which would probaby (at a guess) allow 3 to 4" of lift. But it has been stated by QT that you measure between the bumpstops at rest.
I would guess that the rules are talking about a factory vehicle, not a factory optioned vehicle. And the 4" lift in the US is not warranted by Jeep or MOPAR - it clearly states that the warranty for the 4" lift is provided by the manufacturer of the lift, not Jeep. We could discuss interpretations of the rules all day, but I understand QT to be very strict and quite picky, and have their own interpretation.
Old 13-07-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just ordered some Mopar springs! woohoo, looking forward to seeing how they go. I was a bit worried about whether the fact I have a front bar and winch would cause some sag in the front but sounds like most people have not experienced this...