Smokin Joe - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-05-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 108 Times in 72 Posts

Gus, you know the reason for the second failure right? so I would say we should focus on the big end issue.

Shall we start a new thread and see who will add details of other big end failures, to see if there's anything common between them?
Old 13-05-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts

Yup
Not sure how to set up a sticky
Do you know how?
Old 13-05-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

That's a great idea of compiling information on the failures. I would be interested in seeing if there is any pattern and what setups have had issues.

I have found with my CRD that after 5,000km the oil starts breaking down and getting thinner, and with an oil change, the engine is significantly quieter. I think a 10,000km service interval is far too long and 5,000km is more appropriate.
Old 13-05-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I've always done oil change every 5000k, and have noticed it getting noisier like you mentioned as its due.
Sponsored Posts
Old 13-05-2018
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusthewonderslug View Post
Yup
Not sure how to set up a sticky
Do you know how?
I will email the admin!
Old 13-05-2018
Full Flexer

I sent this, but I'm overseas and not 100% it went through.
I'll post back if i hear anything from them

Quote:
Originally Posted by samft View Post
Hi,

We have been discussing in the JK thread...

It it possible to add a sticky to keep a new thread at the top of the JK forum board?

We'd like members to help compile a list of big end failures of the CRD engine. We'd like info from users on the following at least:

Failure type?
Year?
Kms?
Gearbox?
Tune?
EGR removal?
Catch can?
Service interval?
Oil weight and type used?
Location?
Tyres and diff ratios?
% time spent used under reasonable load, i.e. towing or with significant weight on board

Gus has listed the following details for his failure:

Failure type? Big end failure #3
Year? 2010
Kms? 140000
Gearbox? Auto
Tune? GDE
EGR removal? Yes through tune
Catch can? Yes provent
Service interval? 7/10,000
Oil weight and type used? Castrol Synthetic 10/30
Location? Western Aust
Tyres and diff ratios? 285/70r17 Stock diffs
Distance into trip 600km
Distance since previous oil change 700km
Speed at failure 110kph
Tell tales prior to failure nil
Codes thrown nil
% of high load 5%
Load at failure 2 people plus camping gear
Grill obstruction, Bullbar with spotlights
Trans cooler fitted No
Exhaust mods 3 dump pipe, rear muffler replaced
Ambient temp at time of failure 15c

If we could get a decent thread going, we might be able to spot trends between the failures and work out how to circumvent them

Thanks
Sam
Sponsored Posts
Old 16-05-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samft View Post
No idea really, it always seems to be the ones with stock gearing and bigger tyres that seem to have issues.

I feel like the 545RFE doesn't ever really know what's going on?

Maybe it holds gears too low in the revs or something? Mine is 545RFE and 4.88 gears and 315/70r17 FYI

My mechanic has driven it loads and has driven the same with stock gears and 33's and says the ones with stock gears run higher boost a lot more regularly

Like I said, its only a theory and I'm hoping mine won't be affected!!!
Yep I agree with you. Labouring the engine in lower revs while the VNT turbo is trying to compensate for the bigger tyres or heavier loads by pumping in more boost in is a bad thing. The engine needs to rev more to digest more boost and fuel.

And re-gearing a CRD JK is very important to help put the engine back into its happy place (revving between 1,900-2,300 rpm) especially after adding weight, increasing tyre size, or towing as Jeep unfortunately put really long ratios in the diff targeting fuel economy figures. I feel that deep down Jeep knew this and that's why the optional 'full tow pack', Rubicon models (although usually only applicable to petrols), and MY2007 models all came fitted with 4.10 diff ratios which is pretty much the 'sweet spot/happy medium' for JK's for all drivetrain setups and all uses (build for rock crawling to overlanding). Then after years of chasing fuel economy, from 2014 onwards Jeep changed the lowest ratio offered in the JK lineup to be 3.73 which is pretty good and gone was the horrible 3.21 ratios.

The 545RFE trans is actually a decent trans, although I have driven JK with the 545RFE I can't comment on their tuning/setup too much when mated to the CRD in JKs. But in the Grand Cherokee's with v8's they are a fantastic box, very responsive, tow really well, don't overheat (substantial cooler), ratios are perfect, and very easy to mod (shift kit, improve shift speed, reduce heat, etc). I have also driven some KK Cherokee's with the 2.8 CRD and 545RFE, and for the most part the trans is good as well, prob not as well setup as the v8 Grand's but better I think than the JKs.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 16-05-2018
Full Flexer

Well put Turismo, thats exactly what I meant.

Everyone, there is now a sticky thread here in the JK section for anyone with big end failures to post information. Hopefully we can spot some common trends
Post New Thread  Reply