Fuel Door flap - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-10-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,930 Times in 2,320 Posts
Default Fuel Door flap

The hinge on my fuel door has started to come adrift, again, did it once before a few years back and I fixed but can't recall what I did but I think someone here mentioned how, can't find a thread so anyone recall what to do ?????

The vids all show pulling the whole housing off but I never did that last time.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 29-10-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 29-10-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

When mine started to go out of line i discovered the hinge pin itself had moved up, allowing the hinge to go out of alignment. Common apparently.
You have to pull the housing out of the body to fix.
Damn fiddly but doable. Don’t know another way, unless it is accessible from the interior trim but don’t think so.
Here’s a video demo, you’ve likely seen.

From my experience, use LOTS of detergent to make the rubber slip over the filler neck and LOTS of patience. Mine was easier than the demo made it look.
I also drilled the bottom of the pin and fitted a small split pin to fix.
It won’t come out again, not sure if you could do that without the housing in your hand.
Good luck
John
Old 30-10-2023
MonsterMoose

Thanks, that what i have looked at .................... Im starting to wonder if Im thinking of the WG fuel door ............. Ill have to bite the bullet and pull it off by the looks...........

Old 30-10-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

If your door is floppy like in the video then for sure the pin has moved up and out the bottom of the housing.
its a pretty crude design.
Getting it out and adding a small split pin in the end of the pin makes it a one time job.
John
Old 30-10-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,138 Times in 602 Posts

Yeah, the filler flap on mine is loose too, just like above, likely like yours drover. I'll have to spend the time to fix it when I get back...just add to the post trip jobs to do...
Old 31-10-2023
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
Yeah, the filler flap on mine is loose too, just like above, likely like yours drover. I'll have to spend the time to fix it when I get back...just add to the post trip jobs to do...
No dust inside and my stubby holder cap works so I will wait for a round tuit to inspire me.

Old 07-11-2023
MonsterMoose

Update::::::::::::::::::
Second attempt, the first attempt and my maybe 20 yr old trim tools broke so lashed out $12 for an Ebay set, here in 6 days and 1 hr later the mongrel thing is all sorted, discovered the tank breather hose was disconnected from pipe and filter thingy as well, so that sorted out, the rubber filler surround tore as stated in the vids, no way around it I could see as it was a bit sensitive and the bloody filler pipe just won't move, all bogged up now with some silastic goop ............... if not will try something else....

Stupid pin which the door pivots on is a cross between a split pin and a rivet I thought, I managed to jury rig it back in place and fitted a clip so it shouldn't lift out again, maybe I will just get a spare to sit in the shed, plastic stuff is better off ditching second time around I find.... especially when they have a few years rung up.................
Must have been the WG door that I had fixed, I would certainly remember this mongrel thing.

Post New Thread  Reply