Call to action - say no to the great forest NP - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > AUSJEEP Updates and News
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-11-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Post the date/time/rego & his name if you have it
Good idea & It was only about 6 or 8 weeks ago but never gave much thought to getting his details or documenting the situation.

While on the topic of Gembrook - it's now one long continuous horse trail since they closed it off
I do see the odd float or too (parked in the closed to 4 wheel drives side of the forest) and only occasionally a horse rider.
Some weeks I don't see anyone at all but I always see other wheelers.

You won't see John Wood, Adam Zwar, Rob Gell, Corinne Grant, Tripod, David Attenborough or anyone else on that website in the Gembrook state park
Or supporting the local Town, buying Coffee, takeaway or visiting the Ranges Hotel.
Old 01-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts

signed
Why do the fires get out of hand and the possums die? no access because the fire trails are overgrown, fallen timber etc. who keeps the trails open, 4wders, who keeps the camp sites clean,4wders, SA is so bad for camping in parks that its easier to go to mexico.and like the local shop owner said greenies dont spend anything because the hybrid doesnt need fuel, so no need to stop at the servo so no iced coffee or ice cream hot dogs or burgers lollies for the kids etc. Same as getting rid of manufacturing (ford, holden etc) you cant export emails, no gnp,autos bring in technology, and everyone suffers from raw material suppliers to the local shops, how much is spent on newstart and other retraining compared to handouts to the companies, how many lawnmower franchises can the country support.
Old 02-12-2015
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Petitions are pretty meaningless. In the eyes of the general public 4WDs are a problem and this perception belongs directly to the people that drive them and the way they behave on the road and off.
Old 02-12-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by del97td View Post
and like the local shop owner said greenies dont spend anything because the hybrid doesnt need fuel, so no need to stop at the servo so no iced coffee or ice cream hot dogs or burgers lollies for the kids etc.
I would argue greenies spend more. They buy an organic fair trade coffee, then go out for brunch and then a nice vegetarian lunch! But it's a completely different market to your typical 4wder or motorbike Rider. They certainly won't be buying junk food from the service station.

I have extensively used all these forests that might be locked up. Shops and businesses need to change if they want to survive. The food at Glenburn or the old narbethong service station is horrendous. Been to the narbethong service station on a dirt bike (fuel stops critical) and they had no fuel. Funny enough they are closed now. No one wants to buy stale dim sims and poor quality petrol anymore.

Woods point is an interesting place but again it would enormously benefit from trying to attract a different clientele. They do a great job of attracting and catering for motorbike riders but the place could do with new clients. Greenies and nature lovers bring lots of money to small towns.

Yea is doing really well out of the bike trail. The bakeries etc get heaps of business from retirees going on a ride.

It's a shame when forests like wombat forest get closed but it's hard to do much else. People spend all day going back and forth through bog holes and make a huge mess.

There is evidence of a significant amount of shooting right off the melba highway near rocky track. Rubbish and targets and beer cans everywhere.

I have to to Toolangi and found a groups of drunk people stuck in bog holes. Broken glass everywhere.

With so many people in Melbourne and a growing population the abuse of public land is going to get worse.

I don't agree with it becoming a national park but maybe one big well managed state forest. People should be allowed to camp where they want for free unless its a campsite with lots of facilities.

Dogs and hunting should be allowed.
Old 03-12-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0375 View Post
It's a shame when forests like wombat forest get closed but it's hard to do much else. People spend all day going back and forth through bog holes and make a huge mess.
Bunyip State Park is the same and why much of it is now permanently closed, I use to go shooting in the wombat forest with my Dad over forty years ago, ahh.. fond memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0375 View Post
There is evidence of a significant amount of shooting right off the melba highway near rocky track. Rubbish and targets and beer cans everywhere.

I have to to Toolangi and found a groups of drunk people stuck in bog holes. Broken glass everywhere.

With so many people in Melbourne and a growing population the abuse of public land is going to get worse..
Right you are...
The Toolbag that shot up the farmers sign at the top of the stairs in Toolangi must be out of their mind!
It's just above the farmers home for Gods sake, with behaviour like this we don't stand a chance

I do agree business needs to change but change means big capital risk and many who are left simply don't have it
Even if they did the Eco tourist is hardly likely to frequent places like Bunyip State Park, Toolangi or Narbethong.
I go there frequently too, I don't see them.

Having spend much of my recreation time hiking, snow camping, backcountry Skiing Kosciusko & working at Mt Buller, Cross Country skiing and hiking is considered the most eco friendly - they come to the resort with a dirty pair of undies and $20 note not wanting to change ether.
At the soft cock level, the eco tourist is more likely to bring a picnic basket or backpack full of there favorite goodies, they're organised unlike the family four wheel drive camping brigade or the last minuet day trip in the 4b

I tend to believe the business owner near the state forest who explains "ecotourism for this area is not sustainable" & "The green dollar isn't worth a cent". four wheel drivers campers and trail bike riders and the like spend up big at supermarkets, pubs, services stations and Cafes.

Last edited by Struth; 03-12-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply