Tyre size on stock rims with a 2.5" lift - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-11-2020
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Default Tyre size on stock rims with a 2.5" lift

I've got a totally stock 2 door Sport that needs new tyres. I've sourced a 2.5"AEV lift kit, not yet fitted, but I'll get this done at the same time as the tyres.

I'm trying to decide what size tyres to get with the standard rims, 285/70 seems to be the most common answer, but will 295/70 fit? Or is that too wide given the backspacing on the standard rims?

I'm also curious about a pizza cutter style, tall and narrow tyre - 33x10.5 or 255/80.. this seems to be a very rare size here but a bit more common in the US. Do we just prefer the look of wider tyres or are they better suited for the conditions here? I can imagine wider would be better on sand, but on my previous 4wd I had 225/75r17s and found them to be very capable off road and pretty good on road, especially in the wet.
Old 24-11-2020
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

295/70 fit no probs but only a few tyres available in that size. 255/80 virtually impossible to get here in Aus. 285/70 is a very common size with plenty available in A/T and M/T patterns from most manufacturers. 295/70 or 34" also largest legal size without engineering. Oh and make sure you adjust the bump stops for the 2.5" lift to avoid rubbing.

Last edited by Big Dave; 24-11-2020 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Had size wrong for 34's
Old 24-11-2020
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayOh View Post

I'm also curious about a pizza cutter style, tall and narrow tyre - 33x10.5 or 255/80.. this seems to be a very rare size here but a bit more common in the US. Do we just prefer the look of wider tyres or are they better suited for the conditions here? I can imagine wider would be better on sand, but on my previous 4wd I had 225/75r17s and found them to be very capable off road and pretty good on road, especially in the wet.
I think most Australian's like the look of a wider stance tyre so it's the most common.

Tall skinny tyres are much better on sand as they flatten out better when aired down. On sand, it's the length of the trend on the surface rather than the width of the tyre that helps with traction.

I agree with Big Dave, 295/70 should fit but the most common size is 285/70 due to being more readily available and legal.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 24-11-2020
Senior Newbie

Thanks guys, looks like 285 is the go, although my guy doing the lift kit is trying to source some toyo r/t's in 285 for me and for his rig but his supplier is struggling to get stock.

Maxxis MT772 are my other choice, hopefully they will be easier to source.

Looking further into skinnies I found Kenda KR601 R/T's in 33x10.5 for $294 each, or even 35x10.5 for $323. Not much info on these online, but the few reviews I've found seem positive.

Thanks also for the tip on bump stops - the AEV kit seems very complete and well put together and has bump stop extensions. I've also got the teraflex lower control arms so hopefully the lift won't cause problems.
Old 25-11-2020
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Just put Toyo MTs on my 2010 JK 295/70r17. Took about 4 weeks to get in.

I spoke too Dale at Toyo Australia as I couldn't find anyone in Sydney with stock or interested in finding some for me.
Old 25-11-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

I’m trying to get a ducted aircon unit for my house rebuild. Big delays and they tell me there is industrial action going on at the ports which is holding up transport all over Australia. Probably same thing going on with tyres.
Old 25-11-2020
Senior Newbie

The sea shipments all appear to be delayed but air freight is ok - I ordered a new master cylinder from Rock Auto last Monday, selected the cheapest FedEx option and it arrived today. The local Jeep dealer quoted over $600 for the part and 6 weeks delivery. The genuine part from Rock only cost $238 with shipping..
Post New Thread  Reply