Roof racks and awning on JK 2 door - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-04-2022
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Roof racks and awning on JK 2 door

So I recently ordered a set of the rhino rack vortex sg60 racks for my 2012 2 door JK that only attach to the front of the roof with the sole purpose to attach a small awning for camping
Has anybody done this?
The guy at the shop said it shouldn’t matter if the awning is only secured more towards one end but I’m starting to worry it won’t hold and I’ve already paid for the racks
Old 18-04-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

Yep! It will be blowing in the wind...
Old 18-04-2022
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdingerslammer View Post
Yep! It will be blowing in the wind...
While I’m driving or while it’s out 🥺
Old 18-04-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

Not sure what u r talking about here....

Anyway, if u r going to attach an awning to a roof rack/rails, both need 2 b secure...The awning needs good anchor points so that when u r driving at speed it isn't going to fly off and smash into someone/something.

Same when standing, a strong wind could rip it off. I have mine attached at both ends about 6 inches in from both ends.
Old 18-04-2022
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So the awning will be secured, but not 6 inches from each end because the roof racks aren’t very far apart and only attached to the roof of car not fibreglass
like in the pic above
Old 19-04-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyJay View Post
only attached to the roof of car not fibreglass
I'm not sure what you mean since Vortex SG bars attach to the fibreglass gutter AFAIK.

I don't think that style of rack on a 2D is strong enough to support an awning, even if it's a short 1.4m awning and the mounts are at its centre. With around 500mm either side of a mount, one gust of wind might have enough levering force to break the fibreglass gutter or even worse, the freedom panels' mounts.

I don't think it's a good sign that you cannot find any pics on Google of a 2D with that style of roof rack and an awning.