"Carbon Flush" Injector clean - Does my JK need it? - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-07-2011
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

check your book for fuel recommendations. i think you'll find the better fuel to run is premium unleaded and you're using low octane. that could explain the tendancy to carbon up and the spark knock. just switch to high octane. my xj could run on low octane, but it ran a lot better on high octane.
Old 27-07-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

The book says min 91. I find no benefit from runnning higher RON in mine. Maybe if I get a Flashpaq, though, to change the timing, it might become worthwhile.
Old 27-07-2011
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Be aware there are differences between how octane is rated in the US vs Australia.

i'm not sure what the manual states... and even less certain that jeep Australia would understand the difference to the point of making a user manual change.
Old 27-07-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 75 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca2801 View Post
PS after seeing the results of sawsall massace of some peoples inner fenders done by the dealer (apprentice), I did it myself. I used a stanly knife and neatly trimmed the little section off as per the TSB. Once its done the guard looks like it should be that shape anyway!
A tad off topic - They botched mine up, so I asked them to replace them on both sides. They strangly also advised me that they will need to replace the brake lines on each side too - as a preventative that is related to the recall. So a week later they called and said the brake lines are in and they fitted them with no $$ being paid. I had the sh*ts bigtime withthe way they got an apprentice to hack up the inner guards initially though! They WILL NOT see me unless its for a recall. I gladly will go directly across the laneway from them, just so they can see the JK being serviced by an independant mechanic (at a lower rate).
Old 27-07-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNEJK View Post
JK 3.8 petrol engine is known to have carbon buildup inside. so cleaning it isn't so bad idea. I used to get spark knock until i put 2 bottles of Techeron5000 to one tank, it pretty much remove the spark knock at the time. it's been almost 6000K since I did that, the spark knock is slowly creeping back, probably time to put another 2 bottles in.
Where's the best place to get this stuff? I've heard this story on other parts of the internet and am about ready to give an injector cleaner a go on my 3.8.
Old 28-07-2011
AJOR Bronze

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacdonald View Post
Where's the best place to get this stuff? .
I found them in one of the Caltex station, cost $15~ish per bottle. There is another cheaper one Techron1000, and apperantly these cheaper one doesn't work. so stick to Techron5000.

Also heard bad story about these thingy got into the engine oil (specially if the piston rings are worn). I only do it before oil change just to be on the safe side.
Old 29-07-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
Be aware there are differences between how octane is rated in the US vs Australia.
US manual from what I have read specifies 87 Pump (pump = (RON+MON)/2).

91 Pump is roughly our 98RON.