Off-road Wheels & Tyres for 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

You're not on your own - there are a few of us that would like another set of 18" wheels and off road tyres.
So far I have had no success in finding any wheels that would suit me at any reasonable price.
I have seen OEM 18" Laredo wheels for $250 each on ebay but my target wheel price is a bit less than that.
Likely I will import 4 from the US but haven't made that decision yet.
Old 01-06-2012
The Leaver of Red Jeeps

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I'm personally NOT a fan of Coopers but a co worker has put a set of the Cooper Zeon LTZ on his 2012 Diesel Grand and they certainly look much better than what was on there. His are passenger construction in 275/r45/20. Cooper dealer told him that LT 20 inch in this tyre are on the way. Don't know what he paid, but they ain't cheap. But he got 'em on his stock wheels.
Old 01-06-2012
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by techscholar View Post
Wow! Thanks for the questions. My answer will show how much of a newbie I am!

At this point in time I have no clue what I will get up to, however I think I would like to get into Dirt, some mud, some very basic water crossing and I would love to do sand at some point. I have no plans to do Swamps and Rocks.

Maybe this is ambitious, but to start I think I will be better off get a tyre that will be the best all-rounder until I get some months/years of experience under my belt.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Kind regards
With 20" rims and the lack of support for Jeep your problem is worse that normal but tyres are always a compromise. If you are thinking off roading 2 - 4 times a year then a second set of rims and tyres really is an expensive purchase for the amount of use involved, especially when realistically you can only drop back to 18's which sre going to be expensive for a couple of years yet. Personally I've never seen the financial viability in runnign 2 sets of tyres unless you are varying in the extreme from road based or A/T tyres to megga aggressive 40" comp spec rubber. Of your places to 4wd listed really only the mud is the most tyre critical and that depends on wha sort of mud. Dirt is no big deal dending on how much, how rough and how fast you want to go. Your stock tyres will do fine in sand. If you are a newbie then I think you would be better off learning and testing the limitations of your standard set up before you worry about the expense of a second set of rubber unless you have a healty budget. By then you might find a suitable A/T tyre on the the market for your 20". At any rate 18's would have become more available and certainly more affordable by then. I believe as a beginner that if you are sensible the standard rubber will do you fine for a couple of times a year till they wear out or you find yourself offroading every other weekend. Dont get me wrong I have run nothing but big mud terrains on my previous rigs for years but even then I have only ever run a single set of tyres and have never had any issues re compromises on or offroad.
Old 02-06-2012
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been looking into this a bit, i have a 2012 Limited i'm going to get a 2inch lift and looking at some 18inch procomp alloy rims and some 275/65/18 tyres but will keep the 20's for when i'm away at work and the mrs is driving.
Old 02-06-2012
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Depends on what you want but i'm going for something like this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 02-06-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey techscholar.

I'm waiting on my WK2012 Laredo which should arrive in couple of weeks. It only has the 18" wheels with the Khumo A/Ts. I'm in a similar boat to you in that I will probably only go off road a few times a year.

So, I am of a same train of thought to Fester and am just gonna see how the standard tyres go instead of spending a bucket load of money on something else.

There's an article in the new 4WD Action mag all about driving on A/Ts that might help.
Old 02-06-2012
Jeepin' is incurable....

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeyWKCRD View Post
Hey techscholar.

I'm waiting on my WK2012 Laredo which should arrive in couple of weeks. It only has the 18" wheels with the Khumo A/Ts. I'm in a similar boat to you in that I will probably only go off road a few times a year.

So, I am of a same train of thought to Fester and am just gonna see how the standard tyres go instead of spending a bucket load of money on something else.

There's an article in the new 4WD Action mag all about driving on A/Ts that might help.
The stock Kumhos are NOT all terrains, they are "all seasons" (whatever that means in Oz!). They are bitumen, dirt and easy sand at best and not suitable for almost anywhere that low range is required. Hope you get your front tow hooks on first .
Post New Thread  Reply