Best Tire Selection Ideas For 2019 - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-01-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts

+1 on the Hankooks generally and for their low road noise and wet weather grip characteristics in particular. I changed them out at 70,000kms due, in part, to some uneven wear caused by an unnoticed wheel alignment issue (yes, my fault for not checking more frequently).

I then went with a set of (much more expensive) LT-rated Bridgestone D697 due to a wish for greater puncture protection for some outback touring. The 697s were as noisy new as the Hankooks at the end of life, but similar grip. Sadly, I can't report on their longevity as the GC was stolen when those tyres were only at 35,000kms, obviously with plenty of tread left.

My replacement GC, a 2013 Trailhawk, still has it's original, 6 year old, Canadian-made Goodyear Wranglers at 82,000kms but not much left on them so will be replaced soon (maybe Hankooks again?). The TH understeers more but that could be as much to do with having the added weight of a bull bar as the lack of tread on the tyres.
Old 17-01-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Yeah OK, good you are happy with the Dynapro mate. I wasn't meaning to offend you. I've worn out the odd tyre or two in my 58 years as well, and have some idea of the compromises involved in using a compound that would go that distance.

all good, takes alot to offend me

i'm only going on my experience and what other's here are saying

the fact you have 60 years of changing tyres means that you should be more accepting of the fact that technology changes and 100K out of a set if looked after properly shouldn't be unrealistic . You've seen tyres go from wooden tyres all the way through to modern tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
I understand what you're saying mate and I love my motorsport too. One thing that never goes hand in hand is traction and longevity. Hence why they have so many compounds to choose from in MotoGP or Supercars...as well as wet weather tyres. I'm not saying you can't get 100k out of a set of tyres, I am saying acceptable traction and braking will have long gone by then …..for me.

The only noticeable change in grip was last winter in WA . The tail did get a little happy and i had the odd slight lockup under heavy breaking but i managed to get through winter and once dry had no issues . If i was ******** i would prob have changed them at 80-90K but i wanted to see if i could get 100K out of them and i did . The week before i changed them i was doing muddy forest hillclimbs and still managed to do them .
Old 17-01-2019
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

My STMaxx are just about done at 50k, but I'm pretty harsh on them.

I think I've settled on Falken Wildpeak AT3W for my next set. They look a bit like the BFGs.
Old 18-01-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 293 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post
My STMaxx are just about done at 50k, but I'm pretty harsh on them.

I think I've settled on Falken Wildpeak AT3W for my next set. They look a bit like the BFGs.
I have been running the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's on 2 of my amaroks at work for a while now. One has about 30k km on the tyres and my new one has about 15k km. They are wearing pretty well. The new amarok with 15k has done a lot of limestone and rock work and seems to be doing quite well. I do rotate every 10k quite religiously though.

Mate owns a tyre shop and has been pushing them with great feedback from his customers.
Old 18-01-2019
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Yeah, I like the look of the tread, and the new sidewall looks a lot better than the previous version. Should be a bit more road friendly than the STMaxx.
Old 18-01-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 293 Times in 185 Posts

I would say they are on the slightly noisier side right from the get go but they are an aggressive A/T and I have a stereo and full turbo back exhaust. So who cares?

From my experience of running 35" simex centipedes with their massive sidebiters, sidewalls are very important in my opinion if doing a lot of offroading as they can be used against the sides of obstacles for great traction rather than trying to drive straight through the middle of the obstacle where ground clearance can be an issue.

Last edited by GCDingo; 18-01-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 21-05-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

20" rims limits your options a bit - anyone running the Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61's ???
Post New Thread  Reply