cracks in jeep body from towing - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 28-01-2007
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

So far mine is OK altho the dealer managed to completely strip the rhf mount thread on one of the many fuel pump replacements. This mounting is the same as all Cherokees & Grands with nuts spot welded in the box sections of the body. I think the Jeep & Hayman reese units use all the same mount points.

A mate had a worse incident with his ZJ laredo. He was using it as a mobitow vehicle where they tow a small unsprung dolly all the time. We concluded that the severe & continual shock loadings caused the failure. Jeep (perhaps understandably in his case) refused to accept any responsability as his was an extreme & commercial use.

As an interesting sidenote these guys used to use XJ's all the time with no such issues despite wearing out towbar hitches, recievers & pins.

I wonder if an approach to the Federal Office of Road Safety (FORS) is required to tickle the DC boys up a bit.

David
Old 28-01-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my van is 2,100kg with a ball weight of 260kg all within specs and using genuine tow bar and it has done 20,000klms towingin the last 18mths it all starts with a creaking noise like cracking a coke can
Old 29-01-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by signwilson
my van is 2,100kg with a ball weight of 260kg all within specs and using genuine tow bar and it has done 20,000klms towingin the last 18mths it all starts with a creaking noise like cracking a coke can
Hope you're not using a standard ball-and-cup style hitch. The vibrations caused by 20,000 ks on corrugated roads would kill many tow bars. I thought everyone used those rubber-isolated uni joint style hitches on off-road campers ???

Anyway, from the photos, I'd say that trailer has been way overloaded - all the stress on the hitch appears to be in a downward motion.
Old 29-01-2007
AJOR Gold

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

treg hitch pehaps?

Old 29-01-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by signwilson
I have a two year old jeep grand cheerokee laredo and it has done 40,000 klms 20,000 of which it has been towing my van which is well within its specifications and it is seperating the chassis rails has anybody else had this problem
I can only comment on the WG Grand but on a recent trip through the outback with the QLD Jeepers club, two WG Grand Cherokees cracked their sub frames at the back around the towbar mounting points.One was towing a full size caravan and the other a Coromal camper.As you live in QLD contact Hammond Jeep as they have experience in this problem.
Old 29-01-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have never had my caravan of the bitumen the jeep on its own you bet thanks for the information on Hammond jeep will go and see them they are now called Hammond 4wd Centre my son and I have just had a really good look under the Jeep and its not good but my opposite lock store just informed me that there is now a new 9 point attachment tow bar available when I find out more I will post
Old 01-02-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here I am still waiting for a reply from Jeep Australia would not like to be hanging from the short and curlies waiting for a reply they rea lly are the limit spoke to one of the panel beaters in town that has had to repair this problem once and he said never again to big of a pain to repair and can't be guaranteed and took 4 mths to get the parts

Last edited by signwilson; 01-02-2007 at 03:56 PM. Reason: can't spell
Post New Thread  Closed Thread