Homemade CJ7 Side Mirrors (about $20 pair) - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Homemade CJ7 Side Mirrors (about $20 pair)

Hi All,

This might be a little basic an idea given most of the suggestions in this section, but I made some side mirrors up today.

The existing mirrors I have are located on the doors, so I can't take the doors off with the hardtop unless I use external mirrors. I have the chassis mirror mounts already (on the windscreen hinges) but no mirrors.

And I'm told they cost around $200 a pair...

I looked around but found nothing suitable. Everything is designed to mount to a door pretty much.

Anyway, Some quick parts and an hour later I have a pair of side mirrors.

2 x generic side mirrors from Super Cheap Auto. $4 ea - $8.00 total.
1 x 19mm Aluminium Square Section tube (Bunnings Hardware) $11.00
2 x M8 bolts. ($0.50 each.).
4 x End Plugs. (20mm "Steel tube" Plastic Endplugs). $0.40 ea.

Just a touch over $20 for a pair of mirrors, all silver looking and neat. And the swivel mounted on the mirror gives a great range of movement and the fold back into the body without issue (ie, if offroad).

The $4.00 mirrors are a touch small, but you could use a larger mirror easily enough.

I didn't need to make the mounts, but the mounts are just two RA brackets anyway and could be made easily enough. Bend some metal...

If anyone's interested, I'll take some pictures and post them (if the description isn't sufficient).

David
Old 04-03-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozdiesel
Hi All,

This might be a little basic an idea given most of the suggestions in this section, but I made some side mirrors up today.

The existing mirrors I have are located on the doors, so I can't take the doors off with the hardtop unless I use external mirrors. I have the chassis mirror mounts already (on the windscreen hinges) but no mirrors.

And I'm told they cost around $200 a pair...

I looked around but found nothing suitable. Everything is designed to mount to a door pretty much.

Anyway, Some quick parts and an hour later I have a pair of side mirrors.

2 x generic side mirrors from Super Cheap Auto. $4 ea - $8.00 total.
1 x 19mm Aluminium Square Section tube (Bunnings Hardware) $11.00
2 x M8 bolts. ($0.50 each.).
4 x End Plugs. (20mm "Steel tube" Plastic Endplugs). $0.40 ea.

Just a touch over $20 for a pair of mirrors, all silver looking and neat. And the swivel mounted on the mirror gives a great range of movement and the fold back into the body without issue (ie, if offroad).

The $4.00 mirrors are a touch small, but you could use a larger mirror easily enough.

I didn't need to make the mounts, but the mounts are just two RA brackets anyway and could be made easily enough. Bend some metal...

If anyone's interested, I'll take some pictures and post them (if the description isn't sufficient).

David
David,

Sounds interesting, pictures would be grouse.
Old 05-03-2007
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Pictures Plaese
Old 05-03-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by and3698
David,

Sounds interesting, pictures would be grouse.
One Grouse coming up

Parts required:

First, an approx 30 cm piece of 19mm Aluminium Angle. See the small cutoff for a cross section. A M8 bolt, long enough to go through your RA brackets on the Jeep.

A Butterfly nut and Nyloc Nut, so you can decide later which you will use.

Two plastic end-caps (Use 20mm Steeltube Endcaps - they hammerfit fine)

Finally, the mirror - These cost me $4 each new and are standard items, although you can get much bigger ones... I might later.

Now drill two (well, three) holes in the tube, approx 20mm from the end and centred. On one end, drill right through both sides. At the other, and 90 degrees to the first one, drill only through one side. As in the picture.

See ! The bolt is already through. This is the halfway point.

I used a 6.5 mm drill bit for the mirror and a wiggled-around-6.5mm drill bit for the M8 bolt. The car side can be rough, but measure the mirror thread size and keep it tight to make the mirror more secure.

You need to fit the mirror retaining nut inside the tube. The washer is easy to get on - Just push it over the hole you made and insert the mirror bolt.

The nut is harder. Use something to wedge it into a 10mm ring spanner (in this case, the barcode from the M8 bolt) and then it is very easy... Insert into tube and screw in mirror.

I used an 8mm spanner to tighen the mirror from the outside while the bolt stayed still. Make it tight enough that you'll swear about overtightened nuts if you ever have to take it off.

Now both mirrors are complete. If you have a spare barcode from one of the things you bought, put it on the aluminium tube to give it that "Professional" appearance - as if you just bought it from Super Cheap Auto... !!!

Tap in the end caps now to finish the job... (Tap these in last, otherwise retrieving the ring washer is just annoying...)

Done ! Now take of those #^$%!@ heavy doors and mount your new mirrors. You can wear them flipped out (towing trailer etc) or flipped in (Closer to the Jeep). Up or Down. However you like them really.

One other thing I'd do is get a $2 convex stick on mirror for the passenger side. It could use one.

That's it

They fold back and sit along the car, just past the dash and also fold forward. Vibration isn't a problem and the aluminium tube is light and strong. And the silver colour matches the cheap mirrors

I hope this is of use to others, since I hadn't thought of how to do this before I heard new mirrors cost $200 !!!!

But if anyone has an idea on how to improve them, please let me know.

Thanks
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parts.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	18725   Click image for larger version

Name:	drill.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	18726   Click image for larger version