Camper trailer experiences - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Camper Trailers and Caravans
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-07-2011
AJOR Gold

Default Camper trailer experiences

With an increasing familly thoughts have turned to a simpler camping setup. The current 6x4 trailer hauls our camping gear, tent etc etc round with no problems but its a pain for quick set ups, great for week long camps. But who has the time for those???

So I'm looking for feedback on what others have found in the cheaper end of the market. (two jeeps already consume most available $$s). Simple tent setup is key and a solid trailer.

Market direct and GIC get a mention a few times in this thread with mixed comments. Build your own looks promising but time consuming. I'm leaning towards a nathan full off road trailer with an indigo tent and a drifta kitchen but would like to hear thoughts.
Old 25-07-2011
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

for quick set ups, including overnight, you cant go past cub camper trailers.... simple flip out with solid floor, and plenty of room... it only takes 30secs!!!

tent tops still take too much time for set up IMO, and ive watched people come into camp late at night, then spend an hour setting up, get 6hrs sleep, and then spend an hour packing up again to get back on the road..... yeh, not for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the oldies have one for weekend trips as the caravan is a bit too big for a 2 or 3 day camping trip.

this is a pic of it set up with awning.

dad paid $1000 for this bad boy, its an early 70's make and fully loaded only ways about 500kgs or so... he has spent a bit of money on it tidying it up a bit, new canvas, new mattress, tool box on the draw.... its a beaut little thing.

Old 26-07-2011
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a Market Direct Camper a few months ago off ebay (new) for under $5 Grand.
Used it a few times now, no complaints.

Paul.
Old 26-07-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have an oztrail CT tent on a home job trailer. The cheaper tents (mine included) are a pain to set up. An hour would be a quick setup incl awning etc.

I really like the hard floor type, but are generally a lot smaller than soft floor. Something like JRJ33Ps oldies setup is the go. I will probably go down the route of something like that and do it up.

It's a matter of weighing up your options. But I'd recommend buying a better quality CT secondhand - there are some bargains to be had! Or else gic seem to be best value for money, albeit there tents are massive which = time for setup.
Old 26-07-2011

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got an old aussie swag for seven grand and put a kitchen in it, awsome bit of gear.
Try for a rear fold even if it has a soft floor, they are usualy smaller but you wont be climbing over each other to get into bed.
Pictures taken before the mods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swag1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	49047   Click image for larger version

Name:	swag4.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	49048  
Old 26-07-2011
AJOR Gold

thanks for the feedback all....I can see more internet time over the next few weeks.

I never even thought of a hard floor but seeing the setups can see the benefits for short stop overs.

JRJ33P or jkinfection - how simple is it to expand for a larger tent / awning area. are they generally zip in

tcf - thanks for the info on the oztrail

anyone used the indigo tents ?
Old 26-07-2011
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

we only had an awning made for ours when the canvas was re-done and that is simply zip on and then 3 poles to hold her up. you can have an annexe made and lay down a tarp or ground sheet and effectively make another room, obviously that would be for your longer trips, but can be done!

i agree with jkinfection on the lack of room, however they're are different sizes available - but i think the ease of set up is definately a good 'pro' over the 'con' of having a little less room inside. besides, your out in the bush camping, why would you want to spend all your time in the trailer?????

Post New Thread  Reply