CJ8: Maz's Scrambler Buildup - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2010
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default CJ8: Maz's Scrambler Buildup

Well the time has come to start a buildup thread for my CJ8 Scrambler. I bought the car off DougG on this forum and had it transported from perth to melbourne by train. I have decoded the vin number and the stats are:

SJ-8, SCRAMBLER
4-Speed, Manual Transmission, Part Time Transfer Case
2,5 litres, I-4, GM

So Im pretty happy its an actual scrambler from factory and not a CJ8 Laredo/overlander come scrambler.

The reason for starting this tread is to get some discussions happening about the mods I wish to do in order to help me plan the project. Feel free to offer any advice on my plans as they are only ideas at this stage and may change in order to best suit the car.

The list is as follows:

350 chev motor
turbo 350 auto
diff options: gq patrol; ford 9" + dana 44; dana 60 + dana, stock amc 20 and dana 30. (still undecided)
2.5" SL + 1" BL or 4.5" RE SL. (still undecided)
35" mt claws on classic II's on road and would love a set of 35" boggers on steel rims for offroad
front and rear warn bars
paint: kawasaki green

Last edited by Maz; 10-01-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2010
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So first questions are:

what transfer case is it in the picture above?

are the diffs capable of handling a 350 chev and 35" tyres?
Old 10-01-2010
Yeah I bought another one

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Diffs look like standard for all CJ8s, might have better ratio to run with the 4 Cyl.
Front D30 is a decent diff but you could do better with a D44
Rear AMC20 is solid as but needs a locker and 1 piece axles, maybe a truss.
T-case looks like a D300 clean it up and clock it.
All of this will handle a 350 and T 300

Warn bar work cant go wrong
Body lift and clocking the D300 will help with a belly lift too

Love that radiator shroud!

By the look of it all you can do is improve on this thing - and I mean that in the most positive way possible!
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.

Last edited by Gildo; 10-01-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2010

Check out my Ride(s)

One more thing for under the hood, specially with the bigger wheels and power, get hold of a Bendix VH305 brake booster, was standard in most of the overlanders also used in HQ-HZ and XU1 and SLR5000.
Will do a lot to improve the stopping power.
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 11-01-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

What a great truck seems ashame to molest it. But I do like trucks to stay pretty much stock.
Old 11-01-2010
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

The D300 is a beefy unit. Gears instead of chain and a lot of after market upgrades... HD yokes, 4-1 that DOESN'T explode, twin stick kits for front/rear digs, HD ouput/input shafts.

Can't stress enough:
Check the frame!!!

On another note, can you measure the rear height, hub to top of body (where the tonneau sits) please? Your 8 is the only one I know of that is remotely standard!!!
Old 11-01-2010

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
Front D30 is a fai bit weaker than a TJ or XJ D30 - So I don't think it's a good thing for 35"s.
Dont know about that Wooders, My 8 has had 35's on it for many years, with a totally stock D30 the only thing that has busted is the stock FW hubs, with these upgraded to Warns nothing else has broken.
They are obviously going to be at least 15 years older and more used than a TJ or XJ but I think they were made with better parts all round. Totally different beast than the younger ones.
If you can find a Front D44 it will be better all round.

Have you actually wheeled anything with this diff or are you going on hearsay?

Many people under rate the AMC 20 and again the one piece axles are a must, diff centre and a disc upgrade would be nice while you have it apart too.

Length of the frame also provides more flex so is prone to cracks where there are cross members and spring hangers.
From the front cross member to the front rear spring hanger is usually the danger area, laser cut plates are available but it wouldn't take much to add it where you need it.
Way less likely in this truck due to the 4 cyl and the cheese cutters but planning ahead for the mods it would be best to do it while its apart.
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Post New Thread  Reply