Aurora compared to J.W. Speaker 7" headlights - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2017

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Aurora compared to J.W. Speaker 7" headlights

Hi all,

Does anyone have any information regarding the difference between the J.W. Speaker headlights and the Aurora headlights?

Visually comparing the 7" headlights, there looks to be little difference, other than branding and a few other minor aesthetic differences. The same configuration, half halo DRL, black, carbon or chrome options etc.

Of course, there is the significant price difference, which is a large contributing factor to why I'm seeking information.

If the J.W. Speaker 7" headlights are Aurora headlights, just with a substantial price increase and rebranding, and assuming both headlight sets perform exactly the same then why not save several hundred dollars and buy the Aurora headlight set. However, if the J.W. Speaker headlights are an entirely different headlight set/unit, built and designed to a much higher standard and outperform the Aurora headlight set then the large price difference is justified.

Has anyone had any hands-on experience with both these headlights and or brands and can provide as unbias information as possible? As opposed to just stating, "mate, buy the cheaper Aurora lights, they work for me and my mates bloody well"... Prattling.

Cheers.

Last edited by JKBall; 12-10-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 13-10-2017
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

To start with, you have that around the wrong way. The Auroras may be a copy of the JW Speakers, but not the other way around. That design originated with JWS. So the cost includes all their inital development.

There are, I believe several cheap knockoffs, though the Aurora lights I have seen are good quality and were not cheap. (I have one of their lightbars.)

Having said that, just because they look the same means nothing about the internal optic design, so they may be the same or very different. For that matter, (pure speculation here), the Aurora may be an older JWS design sold by them to Aurora since they are several generations along in theirs.

Having not seen the Aurora in action, I cannot comment on how they compare.
Old 13-10-2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good point Banshee, it appears to me that Aurora 7" headlight set are copies (cheap knockoffs) of the J.W. Speaker 7" headlight set.

Another factor which leads me to believe that Aurora's are knockoffs or older model J.W. Speaker headlights is that other than online shops, its difficult to find information about the Aurora lights. I've been informed by an Australian 4wd shop that Aurora doesn't have there own website per say...
Old 18-10-2017
AJOR Silver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Aurora compared to J.W. Speaker 7" headlights

Hi there, far as my looking can find the aurora are made by Shenzhen (Chinese mass producers) and branded in house as aurora. You will get what you pay for

This is there website
http://www.szaurora.com/en/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDIT- it also kills companies like rigid that pump millions into R&D to have their patents ripped off so if everyone keeps buying this crap you won’t get the innovation we would want.
http://bit.ly/1eFBSY5

Last edited by sladey; 18-10-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 18-10-2017
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

I remember the snorkle thread that started about this exactly. Comparing cheap copies with the AEV Gen 1 when it was still fairly new.
Old 19-10-2017
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 116 Times in 94 Posts

I have JW Speaker lights, very happy with them and would not mess around with knock offs. JW Speaker has spent money on R&D and holds the intellectual property, hence get my support.
Old 19-10-2017
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I agree with Kiwi on this. I've looked at buying so many different knock offs and read a lot about how disappointed people were that bought them that I'll be buying the JW Speakers when I put the money aside.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Post New Thread  Reply