SMH anit-4wd poll - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I voted and read it what a load of crap
Old 03-12-2011
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieFSJ View Post
I'm not having a go at 4x4 driver's, yea ? just 4x4 drivers that don't go off road agree?
I couldn't disagree with this more.

Firstly how do you know from looking at them who does and who doesn't go off road. Just because it's not lifted to the sky with mud tyres and covered in bush pin striping doesn't mean it doesn't get off road, it's just been looked after. In truth, for may reasons outside of my control, I've only managed to get off road a handful of times this year. Does this mean I should be forced to sell my car and buy a Prius? Also, what about people who use them for towing. They may not go off road at all but it is still a legitimate reason to own 4WD. If they restrict 4WD's in cities then why would they allow big busses and trucks, or any V8 that uses more fuel than a diesel 4WD, nice expensive sports cars like Ferrari's, beat up old work utes that are likely less fuel efficient, more polluting and significantly less safe for pedestrians than a new 4WD,.......the list goes on.

Secondly, and more importantly, I have a right to drive anything I want. If I want to pay the extra fuel and servicing costs and run a big 4WD then that is my right.
Old 03-12-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 75 Times in 40 Posts

This journalist has actually had a win with all of us actually giving him some "air time". Just ignore them - they'll go away and get together with their greenie mates for a sing-a-long!
Old 03-12-2011
searcher

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-JK View Post
I couldn't disagree with this more.

Firstly how do you know from looking at them who does and who doesn't go off road. Just because it's not lifted to the sky with mud tyres and covered in bush pin striping doesn't mean it doesn't get off road, it's just been looked after. In truth, for may reasons outside of my control, I've only managed to get off road a handful of times this year. Does this mean I should be forced to sell my car and buy a Prius? Also, what about people who use them for towing. They may not go off road at all but it is still a legitimate reason to own 4WD. If they restrict 4WD's in cities then why would they allow big busses and trucks, or any V8 that uses more fuel than a diesel 4WD, nice expensive sports cars like Ferrari's, beat up old work utes that are likely less fuel efficient, more polluting and significantly less safe for pedestrians than a new 4WD,.......the list goes on.

Secondly, and more importantly, I have a right to drive anything I want. If I want to pay the extra fuel and servicing costs and run a big 4WD then that is my right.
X2 Gawdam right!
Old 03-12-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

it goes around in cycles next week it'll be "pitbulls". of late is anything with guns has had a good run becuse of crimes/gangs. then 4x4s then pitbulls then gun throw in a waight loss diet or the best credit card for you then P platers/hoons then 4x4 then pitbulls then guns blar blar blar
just dont buy there papers or watch there programs. there full of crap and only make you dummer. why else do you think the govenment wants to senser the inter net.
Old 04-12-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

In my opinion 4WDs have more right to be on city and suburban roads than $250K-plus supercars like Lambos, Porches & Ferarris, etc or even some of those Japanese racing motorbikes. There are plenty of opportunities to legally use 4WDs offroad in Australia for the purpose for which they are intended however it is not possible to drive one of these supercars/superbikes in the way that they are designed to be driven legally in Australia (unless they are taken to a racetrack and realistically, how many of these vehicles owners actually do that).

Also, a lot of the arguements the greenies put forward are over 20 years old treat all 4X4s like they're old leaf-sprung, drum-braked 1960's Land Rovers and 'Cruisers. Most modern SUVs & 4WDs actually have better braking, steering, suspension and ESP systems than many road cars (my 2-door JK handles an emergency stop better than many late-model sedans and hatches I've driven), and the majority now come with reversing cameras fitted as standard equipment making them far safer while reversing than many sedans.

The only thing I would have to say against 4X4s that are driven solely on city streets and are never taken off the blacktop is that there no need for huge bullbars with massive winches mounted on them and big lifts with huge aggressive MT tyres fitted all purely for show and nothing else, just in the same way that there is no need for 20" rims with 30 profile tyres and huge wings hanging off the back of little ricers that spend their lives plodding down Canturbury road at 40kmh with the doof-doof blaring from the 24" subwoofers crammed into the boot.

Last edited by jklad; 06-12-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply