How many k's - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-12-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts

My clock is digital so hasn't got a spring
Old 21-12-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this isn't my first jeep I've had a few (5 at last count cj's xj's and wj's) and I've driven landrovers in the armed forces, not having a bitch but my jk has probably spent 3 months in the dealers total time in the 2 years I've had it since new. I dont drive it hard, i have mechanical sympathy, it has been "bar none" the most unreliable and poorly built "car" i have owned. i do however enjoy driving it and it frustrates me that it is so capable yet suffers from terrible quality control. im not alone im sure yom will pipe up too. its just down to luck that they all fit together and work.
10JK Rubicon
Old 21-12-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

the JK is a vehicle designed during a financial crisis at chrysler where they were running deep in the red but needed to replace the TJ which was 10yrs behind what the Wrangler should have been.

So it is understandable that there's going to be some number crunching and penny pinching somewhere along the line whether it be in design, parts quality or final assembly quality.

its amazing they do not bounce off the road when they hit a bump but if any car designer in the world can work to a limited budget and with only a used parts bin at their disposal for bits and pieces it is a team from JEEP putting together a Wrangler.

I think that's why it is such a bad vehicle and such a great one at the same time.

It also helps to remember that the JK is very much a vehicle from the 90's. if it were truly a 2006 released model it should have had at least front independent suspension.
Old 22-12-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
the JK is a vehicle designed during a financial crisis at chrysler where they were running deep in the red but needed to replace the TJ which was 10yrs behind what the Wrangler should have been.

So it is understandable that there's going to be some number crunching and penny pinching somewhere along the line whether it be in design, parts quality or final assembly quality.

its amazing they do not bounce off the road when they hit a bump but if any car designer in the world can work to a limited budget and with only a used parts bin at their disposal for bits and pieces it is a team from JEEP putting together a Wrangler.

I think that's why it is such a bad vehicle and such a great one at the same time.

It also helps to remember that the JK is very much a vehicle from the 90's. if it were truly a 2006 released model it should have had at least front independent suspension.
Why would they go to independent suspension The JK is one of the last true 4x4s that has solid axles front and back why is this well simple you get better wheel travel so you wheels stay in contact with the ground there for you can get further than depending on a computer to break the wheel that is in the air because you are lifting wheels all the time the discovery 3 is the perfect example of this , I pray to god we never have independent suspension in our jeeps
Old 22-12-2011
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: YJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
this isn't my first jeep I've had a few (5 at last count cj's xj's and wj's) and I've driven landrovers in the armed forces, not having a bitch but my jk has probably spent 3 months in the dealers total time in the 2 years I've had it since new. I dont drive it hard, i have mechanical sympathy, it has been "bar none" the most unreliable and poorly built "car" i have owned. i do however enjoy driving it and it frustrates me that it is so capable yet suffers from terrible quality control. im not alone im sure yom will pipe up too. its just down to luck that they all fit together and work.
YOURS has been the worst one you've ever had.

My family is a Chryco family, I've have 4 Jeeps while my other siblings have had numerous other cars from Chryco. We have had 2 lemons from Chrysler, one a 1994 Plymouth Voyager minivan, and the other my old 1995 Wrangler YJ, but far MORE perfectly good and reliable cars from them, our best was a Dodge Dynasty with the 3.3 V6 (same V6 our JKs have, only smaller) that we sold with 363k km and was still going, original everything.

Because we had 2 lemons didn't mean the car next to it was one as well, so my point is, because your JK has been hell doesn't mean they all are.

I won't deny Chrysler makes lemons, because I've had one, but when you get a good one, its the best darn car you'll ever have. (or maybe they just build them better for us yanks )

For thread purposes, mine is at 29k km, 2011 bought brand new, not a single issue.

Last edited by JSSJeepin; 22-12-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 22-12-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Disappointed that the JK continues to get smacked down about build quality. Stop reading and duplicating motor journalist comments. Most of us who have issues are because we use the vehicle for it's intended use.....4wd. There will always be some issues with cars.
My stats.
1st oct 2010 Jku crd 35000km
Lift and front bar winch 34" wheels.
Burnt out started motor- self inflicted (skull dragged thro 1 mtr deep mud- mud oozing out of engine bay);(
Intermitent Locker issue... Still to be resolved.
Electronic disconnect- motor replaced twice- water ingress from water crossings- replaced with evo manual switch.
Love my JK and I don't baby it.
Some vids to show what we do on the weekends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQVpx...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkEeU...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLrsA...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwoQX...e_gdata_player

For those who don't know Yalwal- not an easy place.
These jeeps are amazing out of the box. Small lift and better tyres. It's hard for anything to keep up with us.
Cheers
jose
Old 22-12-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSSJeepin View Post
YOURS has been the worst one you've ever had.

My family is a Chryco family, I've have 4 Jeeps while my other siblings have had numerous other cars from Chryco. We have had 2 lemons from Chrysler, one a 1994 Plymouth Voyager minivan, and the other my old 1995 Wrangler YJ, but far MORE perfectly good and reliable cars from them, our best was a Dodge Dynasty with the 3.3 V6 (same V6 our JKs have, only smaller) that we sold with 363k km and was still going, original everything.

Because we had 2 lemons didn't mean the car next to it was one as well, so my point is, because your JK has been hell doesn't mean they all are.

I won't deny Chrysler makes lemons, because I've had one, but when you get a good one, its the best darn car you'll ever have. (or maybe they just build them better for us yanks )

For thread purposes, mine is at 29k km, 2011 bought brand new, not a single issue.
Agreed. That's what some do not understand. Just because their vehicle sucks doesn't mean they all do, a for me and many others they have been very reliable an I wouldn't hesitate to own another but if it had no end of grief I wouldn't get another. No brand loyalty here but 2 jeeps owned and both very reliable so I can't ask more than that an will sing praises of vehicles in a vehicle forum if they live up to expectation and I will also post issues as I have them so no qualms there either