New owner of 2006 WH CRD - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2021
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Good work!!

Eventually, you will have to start crawling around under your car for bits and pieces. I have a set of ramps i found on Gumtree for $45. I would suggest finding an old used pair. Just run the car up and your good to go. This is the type of thing i mean.. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coom...mps/1264953848

I use one of these https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...on/291149.html for brake bleeding and flush. Attach, loosen bleed nipple and pump brakes several times.. keeping an eye on the brake fluid level in the Jeep and bleed bottle. Keep doing this on all 4 sides until the fluid looks clean and fresh. Easy. You kill two birds with one stone. Flush and bleed.

I think most cars have a few weeps and drips. It builds up over time and looks like a leak. If you get ramps, run it up, spray degreaser under there and pressure wash it all. Then wipe and clean. Just did that on my daughters WH. Should then be able to maintain it with a quick wipe now and then, or check where the weep may be coming from. Could be a simple sump bolt that needs nipping up.

Let me know how you get on with the dip stick thing. I think there is a dip stick you can buy, or measure the amount that comes out when you drop the transmission oil. Its something i will have to look into as well.

Edit: Looks like you can make a tool, or buy this one..http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com.au/for...d.php?t=125979
Level needs to be 67mm from bottom of tranny pan when at operating temp. Not sure if in Park or Neutral. Would be easy enough to make a wire or tube to slide down there...

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 02-01-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

You can buy them pretty cheap off flea bay.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transmis...-/272467256448
Old 02-01-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Just bought a dipstick on Ebay just before you two posted haha, thanks, I got this one that says its suits the NAG1 transmission (I guess that just means its long enough, they don't appear to be complicated devices): https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transmis...T/383807311323

I MacGuyver'd some ramps out of very thick timber and bricks to give me enough room to get under and check out the transmission and clean it. Probably not WHS-approved but it worked and felt reasonably safe, only lifted about 6 inches. I'll see if I can't find some old ramps nearby, that's a good idea.

I just watched a couple videos on flushing brake lines, it seems pretty straightforward. I understand the mechanics of it, and it kinda sounds like fun.

So do you have to take the wheels off, only for access to the bleeder screws, or is it needed for some other reason e.g. affects pressure in the brake lines?

edit: did a bit more research and see that there is no necessity to remove the wheels, its only to ease access to the bleeder screws. just checked and I reckon I can get to them without jacking up or removing the wheels, just tested w/ some hose I have. I'll flush em tomorrow

Last edited by Cannabat; 02-01-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2021
AJOR Gold

Ive never got the wheels off the ground to do anything with bleeding/flushing brakes in any car. I usually start with a caliper that is the furtherest away from the master cylinder and slowly go to the closest. Usually left rear first etc.. I get this Dot 4 fluid. Its a litre bottle, so works out good value.. https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...010101#start=7

I think we have the W5A580 transmission, which i believe is basically the Nag1. Good buy on the dip stick. I'll grab me one of those too. Cheap and good peace of mind.

Here is some info.. http://www.ausjeepforum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=143740

Bit of light reading here...

Tool Number 9336A
Tool Name DIPSTICK
Description This special Dip Stick must be used to ensure of proper Automatic Transmission Fluid Levels in LX & WK vehicles equipped with the NAG1 Transmission. Also works on the 42RLE Transaxle in LX Vehicles equipped with a 3.5 Liter Engine. NOTE: Consult your Service Manual for the proper fluid level checking procedures. 2005 thru Current Also see 8863B for Sprinter & Crossfire vehicles.

Transmission and Transfer Case/Automatic - 62TE/FLUID/Standard Procedure for Fluid Level Check
1.Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
2. Remove the dipstick tube cap.

WARNING: There is a risk of accident from vehicle starting off by itself when engine is running. There is a risk of injury from contusions and burns if you insert your hands into the engine when it is started or when it is running. Secure vehicle to prevent it from moving off by itself. Wear properly fastened and close-fitting work clothes. Do not touch hot or rotating parts.

3. Actuate the service brake. Start engine and let it run at idle speed in selector lever position "P".
4. Shift through the transmission modes several times with the vehicle stationary and the engine idling.

NOTE: When inserting dipstick special tool 9336A , excess insertion force may cause the dipstick to slip past the stop on the bracket in the transmission oil pan. An approximate distance that the dipstick sould be inserted into the fill tube is 424 mm (16.69 in.).
5. Warm up the transmission, wait at least 2 minutes and check the oil level with the engine running. Push the Oil Dipstick 9336A into transmission fill tube until the dipstick tip contacts the oil pan and pull out again, read off oil level, repeat if necessary.

NOTE: The dipstick will protrude from the fill tube when installed.
6. Check transmission oil temperature using the appropriate scan tool.
7. The transmission Oil Dipstick 9336A has indicator marks every 10 mm. Determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick and using the height, the Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) as viewed with the scan too, and the Transmission Fluid Graph, determine if the transmission oil level is correct.
8. Add or remove oil as necessary and recheck the oil level.
9. Once the oil level is correct, install the dipstick tube cap.

Cheers,
Old 02-01-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Don’t know if you need this but it looks cheap on Gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/robi...new/1164243938
Old 03-01-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks guys

Flushed brakes today, easy! Took me about an hour with my partner pressing the brakes. I went slowly and was really careful to not get any air in the system. I thought I had flushed the first three then realised the colour of the old fluid wasn't as light as the new fluid, so I went back to each brake and continued the process til the colour was the same. Ended up with exactly the right amount of fluid at the end, and measured the same amount came out as went in, cool. $15 for brake fluid and $3 for 6mm x 1meter clear vinyl hose - saved us $72

Transmission is weeping slowly, I can see it is from the pan gasket. Maybe its too tight or not tight enough, dunno but I figure it's been on there for 6 months now so probably best not to fiddle with it at this point. I imagine the gasket has already smooshed itself into shape. I may just go ahead and do the full flush of it soon w/ a kit from rock auto or wherever.

I am sometimes getting P065A still - no other codes with it, though. The red battery light comes on for a few seconds after starting the car then goes off. I'll have to double check but previously this had happened once, and I measured the voltage after starting. It climbed from around 11v to 14.4v over the course of like 15 seconds, I guess it's just the alternator getting going? There is evidence of oil spilling from the oil fill cap in the past, maybe it is gunked up and needs time to get moving...

Do these vehicles have a smart/variable-voltage alternator?
Old 03-01-2021
AJOR Gold

Good work on the flush. Thats more that 70 clams still in your pocket, and you know the job got done properly. Its also about learning and working on them too.
Me and the boy are going to do the oil/fuel/airfilter change out tomorrow. I think total cost for parts was about $150 with 10lt of synthetic oil. Take the CRD into the dealer for a service and watch your wallet shrivel.

You may be right on the alternator having a bit of gunk. Ours is clean as a whistle, but some have had problems with oil leaking onto it and causing problems. Were still getting the ABS light coming on/off. Can't wait to get the Rockauto Mopar sensor installed.

They are a bloody comfy ride eh!! Love driving my daughters one.

Cheers,