New owner of 2006 WH CRD - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

It occurred to me that changing tyre size could affect the function of the transmission.

I don’t remember this rough downshifts issue before I changed the tyre size, but at that point I hadn’t driven the vehicle much so I’m not sure. I suppose the transmission should slowly re learn to shift smoothly over time.

Thanks for the link to the hose Alex.
Old 08-01-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannabat View Post
It occurred to me that changing tyre size could affect the function of the transmission.
If you have changed your tyre size ... you need to 'Advise' the ECU of the change using JScan or something similar, as the ECU is currently 'configured' to your original tyre size ?
Old 08-01-2021
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks yeah I wasn’t clear in my last message, I noticed the tyre size was incorrect in the ECU and changed it there. I didn’t change the tires, previous owner had but hadn’t changed in the ECU.
Old 09-01-2021
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

Today I finished an oil change, fuel filter change and air filter change.

I got some half off oil as sacrificial oil and change that yesterday. Today I added some liqui moly engine flush and let it idle for 15 ish minutes, then did another change with good quality oil. Amazed at how black the sacrificial oil was. After 20 min driving later my dipstick is still crystal clear, I’m hoping the flush actually did something. At least I feel good about it

I also put in a can of liqui moly fuel system cleaner in my last fill up. Again I don’t think it can hurt anything and at worst I get warm fuzzies

Fuel filter swap was pretty straightforward, you can loosen the Allen key and don’t have to remove the torx bolts. Glad that is possible because my torx sockets are too wide and the metal pipe next to the filter totally blocked my access to the bolt! If it was 1/4” drive it would have fit but the 3/8” drive torx socket was too wide.

After changing the filter out I stuck a piece of tube onto the bleed valve and turned the ignition to ON (not run) and got straight fuel so I’m guessing all the air is out of the system. Not sure if that’s really important.

Air filter was probably fine but I changed it anyways. Again, feels good!

I need (?) a torque wrench to do my glow plugs. It starts fine but just takes a few seconds in the morning, so glow plugs aren’t time critical. I have some copper anti seize compound for when I put the new ones in. I think I’ll wait for a good sale on a torque wrench and do the glow plugs whenever that happens.

Happy days
Old 09-01-2021
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Good idea on the Allen bolt for the fuel filter. Easier way to do it!
What deep socket did u get for the glow plug job. That’s also on our list.
What filters did u used?
We used a purolator fuel filter that came with the two o rings. No leaks and all good.
We also used the Mann oil filter that came with the two o rings as well.

Cheers,
Old 10-01-2021
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

I had to use a flathead screwdriver to gently pry up the fuel filter to get it started, then wiggle it back and forth to get it out - pretty snug even with the Allen key bolt fully loosened. Also careful not to lose that bolt!

Haven’t attempted to access glow plugs yet, I assumed that one of the sockets in my set would fit, may need to check that...

I used all ryco filters from spares box. The oil filter was the same type as your old one, shorter than the usual type with plastic bits on either end, came w o ring as did the fuel filter.

One of the fuel lines to the filter is has a small crack in it, on the inside of the bend, but I checked for leaks and found none - I’ll be replacing that ASAP along with one of the clamps which is still the single used type.
Old 10-01-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

“ I got some half off oil as sacrificial oil and change that yesterday. Today I added some liqui moly engine flush and let it idle for 15 ish minutes, then did another change with good quality oil. Amazed at how black the sacrificial oil was. After 20 min driving later my dipstick is still crystal clear, I’m hoping the flush actually did something. At least I feel good about it”

I’ve been a little apprehensive about engine oil flush additives. I’ve heard of problems where people have done this on older cars and it’s loosened up so much gunk they have sprung oil leaks they didn’t originally have.