New owner of 2006 WH CRD - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

My engine has under 100,000km on it so I felt safe doing the flush. I wouldn’t drive around with the flush additive in there regardless of the engine condition, as it could affect the viscosity and lubricity of the oil negatively.

I used liqui moly which is fairly well respected across the globe, id feel less confident if it was some rando eXtReMe oIL fLUSH 5000 brand stuff

The oil in my Jeep was not in terrible shape to begin with, not really solid gunk came out when I did the initial drain

But ya same with transmission flushes, my understanding is if your clutch plates have been abraded and you do a full flush they can start slipping. So don’t flush if your trans fluid smells like burning just do a change, you need those little metal bits for friction in this case
Old 10-01-2021
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Unless you already have something suitable at home, it seems these 1/4 drive 8mm sockets are recommended.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Deep-Soc...MAAOSwzrxUxhCP

Cheers,
Old 12-01-2021
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

Got my transmission dipstick in. Checked the level:

- Park on a level surface
- Parking brake on
- Go thru P-R-N-D and back and forth a few times
- Check temperature in Jscan (while in D or R)
- Check oil level

It was way overfilled, reading over 90mm @ about 45 C, yikes!

Put a vinyl hose down the dipstick tube and started suction with my mouth, then let it slowly drain into a container.

Stop after ~200 mL, check temp and level again, repeat.

I ended up taking about 700 mL out before the levels were closer to correct. Pretty sure I've got it spot on.

I went for a drive at about 600 mL to see, still had the rough downshifts but not as bad and only at temps higher than when it started occurring previously. After 700 mL was out, went for another drive and it's close to gone. I'll continue to monitor and check the fluid levels over the next weeks.

The fluid didn't look like it was in the best of condition, it's an orange-ish pink-ish color. I think it may need a change. Unfortunately, it was flushed about 6k ago - I mean, rapidlube says they flushed it - and they used Wynn's fluid, which I don't know if you can buy. So I suppose the best thing to do is totally flush it out and fill it with something that is more accessible in shops/online.

Also purchased fuel hose & clamps to replace the hoses connecting to the fuel filter, will get that done soon.
Old 12-01-2021
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Good result. A lot of mucking around to get the level exact, but i guess thats why they didn't put a dip stick in. To stop people making a mistake.
Anyway your on to it...
I will definitely be getting one of those dip sticks too and running a check.

Cheers,
Old 14-01-2021
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

Did my catch can install today. Ended up putting in the same place Alex did. Had experimented with fitting it there and by air filter, by air filter it would be really tricky to bolt it to anything, would have to use zipties or something. On the passenger side, next to the fuse block, there is room to get a drill in to bolt it to the side plate.

I cut out and shaped a bracket from a piece of square steel tube. The ryco can has a bracket that the it can slide into and out of. I was going to cut my bracket to the same size, but then realized it would be too low, so I welded the ryco bracket to my bracket to so it would be high enough.

On my can the inlet and outlet are reversed from the provent-style can, threw me for a loop when I compared my finished install to Alex's

The drain vinyl tubing is routed down behind the wheel well, there is a convenient spot for it to be tucked into so its not dangling, I cut it to size and zip tied it. I went for a nice, spirited drive and everything is still together and nothing leaking.

All these things take me a bit longer than more experienced folks. It took me several hours to get it installed, about half of which was making the bracket and then fixing it. Anyways, I'm happy with the job.

The rough downshift issue isn't totally solved, after a spirited half-hour drive, getting the car heated up, the rough shifting started again. It didn't get as bad as it did before. I checked the level while cold and it was almost 10mm high still (before it was like 40 or 50mm high, can't remember). I done mucking around under the bonnet for the day so didn't check after it was hot.
Old 15-01-2021
Established Member

Liked 76 Times in 51 Posts

Hi Cannabat.
Many things you read about our transmission has '5 litres' listed as the service fill. I have never read of anyone getting 5 litres out with a pan drop and filter change. This then leads to overfill. That is my theory anyway.

Which fluid are you planning on using? The Mercedes stuff or ATF+4?
Old 15-01-2021
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

Sounds like that’s at least a contributing factor.

I think I’ll use ATF+4. Haven’t decided yet. I’ll be buying enough to totally flush the lines - looks like that means an extra 6 to 9L, so I’ll buy 20L. Will use the car’s pump to flush it as opposed to an external device. There’s a great video detailing the process on YouTube https://youtu.be/-7IhwezUrUA

Pretty straightforward.

Oh, I checked the receipt for the last service done at rapid lube (previous owner). It lists a flush and filter. The filter cost $88! And they only used 5L of fluid. So they did a change, not a legit flush, and probably overfilled it by around 1L. Then, because it was overfilled, it’s been slowly weeping thru the gasket, loosing a few mL. I reckon there’s still 100mL or so I need to take out. Makes sense that this is what happened.
Post New Thread  Reply