Headlights & Loom Upgrade - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-10-2005
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Headlights & Loom Upgrade

Hi Guys n Gals,

This is for all the Aussie's who have done an upgrade on their stock headlights. I'm not happy with the headlights in my new 05 TJ and I would like to upgrade to improve light etc.

I think my current wiring loom is a little dodgy as sometimes one of my lights does not come on, and after I pop the hood and wriggle the loom it comes on and lights get brighter.

So what have you guy’s n gals done to your Jeep for headlight upgrades? Are the IPF headlight replacements the way to go? What bulbs etc?

Thanks guys.
Old 21-10-2005
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just go witht he IPF setup: Lenses, Loom and IPF Fatty Globes thats what i run
Old 21-10-2005
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Install

Coxy,

Did you do the install yourself? Whats involved in taking the existing wiring loom out and replacing with a new one? Are all the plugs the same etc? I wouldn't want to start and find out I have to pull my soldering iron out and be putting different fittings on etc.

Thanks.
Old 21-10-2005
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the loom is a basic plug in and zip tie down, your old loom stays as the new one piggy backs onto it. you dont need a soldering iron at all. i used to work for ARB and they are really easy to put in. the new lenses and globes are the the same fit, the lenses are just more reflective and the bulbs brighter once you hook them up to the new loom wich pumps a lot more juice to them.

a few hints.

mount the relays up high on the firewall and away from water.

get some of the NARVA split tubeing conduit and cover up the whole loom

just remember to adjust your hedlights down or you will have a lot of pissed of drivers around you as the lights do get very bright.
Old 21-10-2005
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any chance coxy or anyone else may have any sort of diagram when it comes to installing this heavy duty wire loom? I would have though it would have completely replaced the old one. When you say it piggy backs off of the original where abouts does this happen?

I’ve not had much of a look under the hood at the light setup but I did see the loom etc. How do you go about adjusting the lights in the Jeep? I couldn’t see any adjustments at a quick glance.

I just visited ARB at St Peters n spoke to a cha there. He roughly said for a complete headlight upgrade (bulbs, lense, wire loom, labour, + anything else I forgot) would be around the $450 - $500 mark. I think I could do the work just worried about the wiring loom.
Old 21-10-2005
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

basically, the loom just connects at the head lights, it piggy backs onto the H4 light bulb plug and then both connect to the bulb, then all you have to do is connect it the battery and ground.

to adjust the head lights you unscrew the bezel from around the head light and there are two torx style adjusting srews on each side at the upper half of the head light. my camera is not working so i cant get any photos at the moment
Old 21-10-2005
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I put IPF inserts and Fatboys into my TJ over a year ago. The increased output was so good I didn't need an extra loom, though I have no doubt it would make them even better.
Post New Thread  Reply