Slanting headlight issue - Headlight bracket possibly the issue? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 136 Times in 81 Posts

Yes, the actuator itself has no movement, but on the end of the actuator arm is a ball. It fits into a spherical socket on the headlight frame. The spherical socket has quarter cuts to allow the actuators ball to snap in. Without these it would not be able to be assembled. Over time, these quarter cuts allow the spherical socket to grow in diameter, thus resulting in free play. There are two other similar ball socket assemblies at 120 deg on the headlight frame but with no actuator. They simply act as a hinge, but suffer the exact same fate. Combined, the result is a few mills of play.
I guess a new headlight frame would improve the problem..... but for how long?
You could probably try putting electrical tape over the balls or similar to take out the play.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Follow us across Australia https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqy...zG8C-c7zERG1Dw
Old 10-09-2018
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBall View Post
Are you sure you don't mean the opposite? That the torx screw adjusts the vertical aim of the headlights, not the horizontal (left/right) aim of the headlights.
Definitely. (At least on my '08.) The knobs are on the back of the electrical height adjusters, so you can set the initial vertical position.

The Torx screws might affect the height a little, but are primarily for adjusting the left/right aim.

I've had plenty of practice, since each time I swapped the inserts, (OEM - Britax - JWS), I have had to adjust both to get the aim right again. Even when I swapped left & right inserts at one point, as I think they were not quite aimed the same...

Unless, you have 2 Torx adjustment screw adjusters on the front? I only have the 3 or 4 for the headlight surround & one for left/right adjustment.

Last edited by Banshee; 13-09-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 22-09-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 43 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Definitely. (At least on my '08.) The knobs are on the back of the electrical height adjusters, so you can set the initial vertical position.

The Torx screws might affect the height a little, but are primarily for adjusting the left/right aim.

I've had plenty of practice, since each time I swapped the inserts, (OEM - Britax - JWS), I have had to adjust both to get the aim right again. Even when I swapped left & right inserts at one point, as I think they were not quite aimed the same...

Unless, you have 2 Torx adjustment screw adjusters on the front? I only have the 3 or 4 for the headlight surround & one for left/right adjustment.
I've also only got one on the front, was confusing because the americans describe adjusting with two. I couldn't locate the electrical adjuster knobs until one of you guys put up a picture for me, i keep forgetting to do it
Old 22-09-2018
SwampDigger

I recall taking that photo, but I can't find it now...
Old 22-09-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 43 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
I recall taking that photo, but I can't find it now...
got it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	436546455.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	77815  
Old 23-09-2018
SwampDigger

That's it!

I just can't find it anywhere on my computer, google photos, or site attachments! Strange.