QL Shock absorber upgrade? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-08-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
Default QL Shock absorber upgrade?

Hi All,

My 2013 Trailhawk comes with Quadralift. Its traveled around 130,000km and both front shocks have light clunks on normal roads. I do drive this off-road a lot and have over heated the LH front shock on a very undulating sand track back in 2016 where it started to knock pretty badly and stopped after I rested the car for half an hour. Anyway... If, I'm to keep this car, and I would like too, I am determined to upgrade the front and rear shock absorbers. Seeing as there does not seem to be an aftermarket upgrade available, has anyone taken this on and tried to adapt the air springs to a non-QL Bilstein shock?

I'm not scared to make spring seats or what ever is required.
Old 25-08-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 93 Times in 65 Posts

Hi Matt,

How’s it been. There is an aftermarket direct OEM replacement for the air shocks, if I remember there are 2 manufactures that make them I know ones out of China, I’ll dig up the thread it was on Jeep Garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25-08-2018
I just registered

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocco View Post
Hi Matt,

How’s it been. There is an aftermarket direct OEM replacement for the air shocks, if I remember there are 2 manufactures that make them I know ones out of China, I’ll dig up the thread it was on Jeep Garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same problem with my 2012 Overland. Looking fwd to that info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2012 Overland, 6.4 Hemi, was 5.7
True Blue Pearl, Saddle Trim
Old 25-08-2018
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhawk View Post
Hi All,

My 2013 Trailhawk comes with Quadralift. Its traveled around 130,000km and both front shocks have light clunks on normal roads. I do drive this off-road a lot and have over heated the LH front shock on a very undulating sand track back in 2016 where it started to knock pretty badly and stopped after I rested the car for half an hour. Anyway... If, I'm to keep this car, and I would like too, I am determined to upgrade the front and rear shock absorbers. Seeing as there does not seem to be an aftermarket upgrade available, has anyone taken this on and tried to adapt the air springs to a non-QL Bilstein shock?

I'm not scared to make spring seats or what ever is required.

Here’s one of them, I’ll find the other later.

https://www.suncoreindustries.com/pr...grand-cherokee

Old 25-08-2018
CrawlerStar

Found it, reco not new.

http://www.rebuildmastertech.com/jee...ut-68059904ad/

Old 27-08-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts

Hey Marc,

Thanks for that, I've found a couple of companies (in the US) who will rebuild them and another who will sell new genuine struts for far cheaper than from Mopar direct or FCA, but... I'm looking next level. I want to replace the standard strut with a quality strut like a Bilstein or Koni, something that improves the vehicle. I do not think the standard suspension is bad, I mean how many cars out there handle like ours and can be super effective off road? But the shocks do struggle once the weight gets up there and I have had the LH front knock really badly once in some constant undulations, so much so, I would not take the vehicle into those sorts of conditions again, which makes me think about buying another car, which, I don't want to do right now.
Old 27-08-2018
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhawk View Post
Hey Marc,

Thanks for that, I've found a couple of companies (in the US) who will rebuild them and another who will sell new genuine struts for far cheaper than from Mopar direct or FCA, but... I'm looking next level. I want to replace the standard strut with a quality strut like a Bilstein or Koni, something that improves the vehicle. I do not think the standard suspension is bad, I mean how many cars out there handle like ours and can be super effective off road? But the shocks do struggle once the weight gets up there and I have had the LH front knock really badly once in some constant undulations, so much so, I would not take the vehicle into those sorts of conditions again, which makes me think about buying another car, which, I don't want to do right now.

Can you use the current Trailhhawk shock in yours, I believe it has a longer throw.

Post New Thread  Reply