Poor fuel economy on CRD - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Poor fuel economy on CRD

Hi there, I bought an 08 Commander last year from perth. A friend of mine and I drove it back to Melbourne, no towing, no luggage and we sat on 95km/h. The best fuel economy we could get was 12.7L/100. At home in Melbourne my wife uses it for general running around and it sits around 14.5L/100. When we tow our tandem caravan, about 2,200 kg it sits on about 18L/100. I have been to 4 different Dealers and their standard comment is 'the computer shows no faults'. So do mechanics no longer know how to troubleshoot a vehicle unless the computer tells them where to look??? Anyway, I have spoken to others who tow and they tell me they struggle to get over 10L/100 just highway cruising and sit just over 12L/100 when towing? Compared to what the Jeep sites tell me I should be getting which I know is a bit of a sales pitch, I am way off ... or am I? To me, my fuel economy is horrible considering my previous jeep was an 06 Grand Cherokee and its fuel economy was way better. Please help.....
Old 01-05-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got 75,000k on the trip computer and average 10.7L/100. This is a combination of City and Country driving.
Other members on the forum may be able to help you with possible trip computer errors, ect.
Enjoy the Commander, it is a excellant vehicle.
Old 01-05-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi DFTD my Commander doesn't do brilliant fuel economy on a run approx 12 to 13l/100 and towing a small van 14 to 17l/100 so I dont think you are that different. I run 40psi in the tyres, but I think the main issue with the Commander is the gearing that is why it is getting reasonably good economy towing your 2.2 ton van. A friend of mine has a Land Rover Disco3 and around town gets the same as me but on a run gets 10l/100 but his has a 6 speed and lower revs on the hwy.
Old 01-05-2010
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For a CRD being driven conservatively like you (95kph) I'd agree that is slightly high consumption. Do you have any modifications like a roof rack, oversized tyres or heavy bar work that may be making it work harder? 1st things I'd check would be the air & fuel filters although you'd think the computer would have found that. Under inflated tyres could also account for a small increase. Does it blow smoke under accelleration or feel under powered at all?
Suppose it's just a matter of elliminating all the possibilities one at a time.
I had a Cruiser that was under powered & was giving poor econemy and after 2 years eventually found the snorkel was blocked with sticks & leaves. Had never thought to look in there
Good Luck.......
Old 01-05-2010
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

replace the air filter take it to a dealer and get them to reset the pcm.

I was getting pretty bad economy from my JK new airfilter did not resolve it but the reset did.

Is all good 5000km later too.
Old 02-05-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

I get 9.2 on trips 12.2 around town and 17+ towing my boat....there is something wrong *Dealer service* like it or not they have the gear to tune her up....Most others don't know any thing about Jeeps and whats more they don't want to know!!!
Old 02-05-2010
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

DFTD, I'm surprised by the poor economy on the highway, as Crackles has asked is it modified in any way i.e. suspension raised, taller tyres or does it have a roofrack?
Did you set out with a clean air filter, like the Grand Cherokee CRD's the air filter only lasts effectively for 7,000 Km even though Jeep say 20,000 Km. The other thing that affects them is incorrect engine oil, I have had someone put 20W40 in mine and we all know that the Mercedes engine will only run efficiently on fully synthetic 5W30.

Mine has been modified and I have a roof rack with camping gear and two spare wheels, not very good aerodynamically so I get around 13.5Lt/100 Km and 17.5/100 when towing.

Prior to my mods I was getting around 9.5Lt/100Km on the highway at 100Kmh and about 11.5Lt/100Km at 110Kmh, go back to the dealer and go through the steps that we have suggested - they do have the tools!

It is worth noting that my wife always squeezes better economy from the WH than I do both with and without the van on, but she does drive slower!

Last edited by johnv; 02-05-2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: edit
Post New Thread  Reply