Tyre hitting guards - Lift Kit?? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Just remember that flat fenders will only help with tyre clearance and do nothing to actually fix your handling and ability to carry the extra weight of all your gear. If you are constantly having the tyres hit the flares and/or bump stops then your suspension is clearly not up to the job.

Another option for you is the US spec Rancho 2” sport lift with the 9000xl shocks (adjustable), Teraflex rear track bar bracket and lower front sport control arms. Get the lift from Quadratec (about AU$900 delivered) and the other pieces from SBR Off Road ($400).

For less than the Rancho Australia kit you will end up with a suspension system that has better geometry correction (roll centre and caster), is perfectly matched with your 33” tyres and able to be adjusted when your loaded and/or towing. You’ll be amazed at the difference in how your Jeep handles!!

Here’s a pic of mine with the kit installed to give you an idea of the clearance you’ll gain.

Previous Jeeps: 1998 TJ Sport, 1999 XJ Cherokee

Last edited by Ozian; 06-12-2018 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2018
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback. I am just so wary of these stories that once a lift kit has been installed, instant regret has followed.

I do need to do something about it, because its only one small pot hole away from being a disaster. I will post some photos tonight to show you the clearance issues once I have it loaded back up
Old 07-12-2018
Established Member

Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus7887 View Post
Thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback. I am just so wary of these stories that once a lift kit has been installed, instant regret has followed.

I do need to do something about it, because its only one small pot hole away from being a disaster. I will post some photos tonight to show you the clearance issues once I have it loaded back up
I can understand your apprehension Angus! There’s lots of horror stories out there, but I can tell you that both Clip and I have had very positive experiences with the Rancho products (AUS and US kits). I’m not sure where you are located, but if you’re in the Brisbane region I’d be happy for you to come have a look at my set up and experience the difference it makes in the ride and handling, on and off road.

I’ve been working on Jeeps, muscle cars (mostly Mustangs) and motorcycles for the better part of 30 years and I’d never recommend products on a forum like this that I haven’t personally used and been happy with (and there are lots of products I haven’t been happy with). Do your research, talk to your local Jeep club members and make your choice from there. Just don’t be sucked into the hype that you have to spend thousands and lift your Jeep to the sky to get the most out of your vehicle.

I can honestly say that there is a night and day difference between the stock suspension and the combo I’m running now. I just wish I’d skipped the Teraflex levelling kit and gone with a kit like the Rancho from the start!

Oh yeah, and I’m legal without any need for certification in all states... noting I’m in the be-all of nanny states when it comes to lift and tyre regulation!!
Previous Jeeps: 1998 TJ Sport, 1999 XJ Cherokee

Last edited by Ozian; 07-12-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-12-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Ditto above.
How much did you spend on your Jeep? Is another 1.5k going to break the bank for what will not only resolve your immediate issue, but also result in a far better driving experience in normal situations? Honestly, this is the no-brainer mod of all times. Oh, and I have absolutely no affiliation with anyone (unfortunately ).

Last edited by clip; 10-12-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 17-12-2018
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Not at all guys. $1.5 is totally in the ball park. I just do want to start the ball rolling with additional issues if I make the move haha.

So you would say that the Rancho gear did make a huge impact to the daily driver?

I will start reading in to it now!
Old 17-12-2018
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for your help guys. Is the attached quote a good price for what it is?

JK 2 DR 2" RANCHO LIFT KIT WITH RS5000 SHOCKS, FR COILS, RR SPACERS, FR BUMP STOPS, REAR BRAKE LINE BRKTS & RS5000 SHOCKS. ADD RTB, FR PANARD & CASTER ADJUST

JK PANARD DROP BRACKET R/H/D

JK CASTER BOLT OME SQUARE HEAD SET JK FR PANARD ROD ADJUSTABLE

LABOUR

$2,017.39
Old 17-12-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'd go with the 9000 series as they're adjustable. That sounds like the US kit which is just a tad higher lift than the Aussie kit I got _ being 40mm (actually turned out to be 45 but it still might settle). My kit $1500 delivered with the 9000 series shocks. Fitting is easy, but you need to add in wheel alignment. With the US kit you get a bit more gear with it that's not necessary with the Aussie kit, although it does include a massive adjustable panhard rod.

That price does sound really good, but maybe just consider the adjustable 9000 shocks?

Last edited by clip; 17-12-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply