Upper ball joint just pops out when tightening the bottom nut - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Upper ball joint just pops out when tightening the bottom nut

My son on replaced his ball joints yesterday on his 1996 XJ and when he tightens the lower ball joint the upper ball joint is forced up out of the housing. It was not easy to get it to go in and still needs the press the get it to fit in, but when the lower nut is tightened (not to torque) the upper ball joint is spring up and out of the housing?

Aside from the being the wrong ball joints (they looked identical to the old ones) any ideas? I have done a few ball joint replacements on our JK's and never had this issue. The other side went fine with no issues, just this side is not working as expected?

Greg
Old 04-11-2016
AJOR Gold

Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Bent lower C perhaps. Check the opposite side with a ruler and see if the space between the Upper and Lower C is the same

Replacement might be required.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAussie Jeep Offroad1478221277.156039.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	74932
Old 04-11-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I will go and measure, the old ball joints came out ok and the new ones are knurled on the side to account for a worn axle. The old ones were not knurled, kind of doing me head in at the moment as it the last thing I need to worry about at the moment..
Old 04-11-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Pics, we need pics....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 04-11-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 98 Times in 57 Posts
Default ball joint

isn't the lower ball joint the one with adjustable sleeve to set the spacing for the top ball joint, seems 2000-2001 don't have it on the low pinion.

this link shows one with the sleeve
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JEEP-CHER...EAAOSwz2lXBace

hard to tell exactly which years had it.
Old 04-11-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

I've not seen that sleeve before...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 04-11-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 98 Times in 57 Posts

here's a clip on youtube clearly shows it

go to 6min35ish and it is clearly shown.

this is an 89 model.

my parts manual for a 99 model seems to show it.
my workshop manual for a 2001 model makes no mention of it.

some seller's that show the threaded sleeve or what ever it is called list it as fitting up to 99 others to 2001. I assume the ball joints are the same it's just whether your's has the sleeve or not.

Quite possibly it's only early diffs that have them and we never had them here?
I can't see the manufacturing process being good enough that you don't need them to avoid incorrect preload on either ball joint, the CV style diffs have shims to preload there knuckle bearing.

Guess its just a Jeep thing!

Last edited by jaffazoom; 04-11-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply