Proof that the Jeep Patriot doesn't have to be a poseur - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > MK Patriot
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-11-2011
Rated the trail

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ_andy View Post
There's always the guys that believe they've bought the only Jeep worth driving. Trail driving is only as tuff as you make it. Most extreme offroaders have to go to fabricated parks to watch their articulation. The real country is out ther, take your wheels and go find it...
Absolutely, I can't bag this car either as I can see a designated market for them, the suburban small family the really doesn't camp much or the yuppy type who rarely see any off road stuff other than climbing a pavement. Now should we be selling those families or market lifted and locked wranglers and jk's with 33's or 35's and so forth.. No... But they would be well suited to this vehicle if all they want is a weekend adventure and a comfortable car to drive...... Better than a rav4 or the like...Servicing it on the other hand is another argument!!
Old 18-11-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonzo View Post
I've got the 2010 2.4 cvt and it does everything I want. Handles reasonable trails, heavy corrugation, freeway rush-hours, and major trips to Bunnings with no problems or issues. Averaging low 9's now for fuel use. It's comfortable, looks great, so far completely reliable, and economical. It's nimlbe handling is outstanding on the road or light bush work - and it is a very stable platform at any speed. We love ours. Best we have had for many many years....Jeep has really done some intelligent design work and delivered an all-rounder vehicle that I think has very few peers at the price...
Wow you've just described my old Falcon that I iwned about 20 years ago
Don't hate the patriot thing, but I don't like the way that chrsyler market it. But I don't like a lot of what chrysler does.
Good point above about the wannabe on 35" tyres too
Old 03-12-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First post, so i'll jump in... ( hi by the way ! )

I've owned a couple 4x4's in the past - and made my jump into a jeep with a brand new off the floor 2008 patriot limited.. did the black paint, leather interior.. diesel engine.. I wanted a wrangler, but the missus made the ultimatum that she had to be able to drive it too.. so we agreed to settle on the Diesel turbo.

In a nutshell, having owned one for 3 years now.. ( almost 4 )

It's a fantastic car to drive on and off road.. it pulls our racing trailer with ease - it's comfortable for long trips ( which we do lots of ) and it easily handles mud, gravel, soft shitty sand ( lots of that over here in Perth ) and will climb almost anything with reasonable ease.

I think you'll find that it's the turbo diesel that makes a huge difference, I wouldnt have p*ssed on the petrol version..
Alot of the capability of the vehicle is in the driver, and knowing what the vehicle can and can not do.

it has some downsides, as it has it's upsides...

it is a low clearance vehicle, and as such - wont be all twisted up over a rock.. if you buy one of these - do not expect it to do what a wrangler can do.. it's not built for that..

it will, however - easily pull the skin off a rice pudding.. it will pull any bogged vehicle out of a hole.. and I used it to pull a mates 100 series out, while he was still hitched to his trailer.. that had a racing boat on the back.. ( he sunk it next to the river and lost traction in the sticky mud ).
I often am called as ' the last resort ' when all the bigger vehicles are just churning up the place.. ' oh, alright - give it a go '.. ( they're always surprised that the little 'show jeep' has big balls )

dont underestimate these little weapons, they are definitely very a capable vehicle - but in their own right..

alot of people say to me ' you take that thing offroad ? '... so I point to the scratched up front and tail.. ' sure do ! '

If getting out there is what you want, and you dont want to climb rocks - this vehicle is exceptionally capable..

one downside is those damned tyres, super soft continentals - with 215-60 R17's.. low and wide..

mine only lasted 30,000k's.. and my next set will be cooper tyres.. with 70 or higher.. 60 is too low profile for what I do.. but they are fantastic on the sand..

I'll post up some pics shortly..
Old 03-12-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep'ers View Post
Absolutely, I can't bag this car either as I can see a designated market for them, the suburban small family the really doesn't camp much or the yuppy type who rarely see any off road stuff other than climbing a pavement.
Jeepers, I can see your logic - and yes.. I would agree with you.. for the most part..

'most' jeep owners, as are 'most' 4x4 owners never actually take them off road - would I be right ?

How many mums do you see, in Coles or Woolies carpark - with 10 kids in the back.. and the most pristine 4x4 you've ever seen ? there's hundred of them in every suburb.. and most buy them for the ' biggest car on the road ' theory.. most cant even tell you when you'd engage 4wd.. or how to do it on their vehicle..

I do disagree with the patriot being classed as a 'yuppy' 4wd.. I would have to argue this with the wrangler, this is more often than not the choice of the cashed up yuppie.. there are plenty of wranglers out there that have ' all the fruit ' with lights, winches, high jacks on the roof and dual wheels on the back.. that are pristine show room condition - and were bought to be the ' weekend toy ' - that might go camping 1 time a year ( if that )

I actually dont know anyone else that owns a jeep ( other than an ex-boss ) and that's his play toy (wrangler), he keeps the Audi TT for the daily
driver..

Most yuppies see the wrangler as being the iconic 'jeep' and see the pat as being similar to the poor cousin.. ( which is fine by me )..

I have noticed, that english people call all 4wd's 'jeeps' as a generic term.. which I find slightly amusing..

Last edited by Eukanuba; 03-12-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply