XJ Mods VSB 14 - Page 42 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-03-2018
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Pre-update accessory brochure for the Australian XJ. Hope you enjoy the pics...

Note that you could get a slot in your bullbar for the factory fitted winch... haven't seen a Jeep dealer fitted winch on an XJ, but you could get one!!

Cheers,
Old 01-04-2018
AJOR Gold

New update on the noise and vibes situation.
I have the NP242 Transfer case.
At the moment i am only running a rear drive shaft.

When reversing out of the driveway today, i heard a whoop whoop noise.
I went forward and then in reverse, and again the noise was there. Sounds like a tyre rubbing and gets faster when you reverse faster.

I then put it in 4wd and the noise disappeared. Put it in 2wd and it came back (in reverse only). I cant hear it in forward.. but i can feel something.
I leaned out and stuck my head under the car.. it was coming from the back of the transfer case/drive shaft area.

I am pretty sure this is where some of my vibes/noise are appearing. Not sure why its only in 2wd and in reverse, but thats what i hear/feel at 2-3 kph.

Been looking at rebuilding it. Seems simple enough. I can get a chain and bearing/seal rebuild kit about $150. At 325,000 km's it just might need a bit of a birthday and this may help smooth out the drive train.

Anybody done one??

Also, looking at another thread today... anyone added an engine/tranny overheating warning system such as this one..

https://engineguard.com.au/

Cheers,
Old 01-04-2018
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

noises in reverse only from that area are commonly the transfercase touching the bash plate, cause the trany mount has collapsed
Good luck with it.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 01-04-2018
AJOR Gold

Thanks Rainman, i crawled under the Jeep in my pyjamas this morning and had a good look around. NP242J with the smaller input bearing. Tranny mount looked good, and i remember it being OK, from when i did the Brown Dog motor mounts. (however, i do have a new one that i will put in). I can see where guys would probably have a problem. The front yoke of the transfer case gets close to the cross member support. I looked all around and nothing is close to rubbing. Its also strange that it only does it in reverse.

Anyway, i have been suspecting a noisy/vibey transfer case for a while. I did some searching and have found rebuild kits and chains on both Summit and Rockauto. I have been playing with postage calculators for a bunch of parts and i am pulling the trigger on a Summit order.

The summit order includes a 136a alternator. I know the bearings in my 90a are gone, plus i need more amps. I will have to grind the mounts to fit it.
Also on order are the custom fit ebrake cables that go straight on for the preupdate ZG to XJ rear disc brake upgrade.
The order also includes a couple of caliper rebuild kits and a uni-joint.
A rebuild kit for the NP242 is also on the list which has all bearings and seals, shift fork caps etc.. and i also have a chain.

That total order came to about $500 AU Including delivery. Can't complain about that. I wanted some Permatex ultra black RTV. Its only $5 on the Summit site, but they wont send it as its on their restricted item list. Supercheap wants over $20 for the same tube. Whats going on in Australia?

Anyway, transfer case rebuild looks simple. Just a bunch of gears and bearings. I have blind bearing pullers and can heat cases, freeze bearings for the interference fit ones. Lots of YouTube videos like this one..

https://youtu.be/c3orjG9iQCs

Looks like i will be taking the old girl off the road for about a month.
Alternator off, - 136a swap
Transfer case out, - rebuild
Rear drums off, - disc swap
Then up town for a 4.88 to 4.56 swap and castor adjustment.

Cheers,
Old 04-04-2018
AJOR Gold

So its going to be a waiting game now. Lots of parts on back order and then awaiting shipping.
I am looking at about June to get the XJ to a stage where it can go in for its re-gear. Then hopefully it will be my daily driver.
Have been planning a cb radio/engine watchdog panel for on top of the dash. The new mini cb's are ultra compact at only 30mm high and the engine watchdogs are only 30mm as well. So i can fabricate a nice compact stack mounted bracket that will sit on top of the dash and only be about 65mm high.

Here is the next list of parts that are on the way.... does it ever end??

Cheers,
Old 04-04-2018
AJOR Gold

And these are the accessories i am thinking of mounting on the dash.

I was thinking of the engineguard, but it only displays one temp at a time. The TM4 shows both engine and transmission temps at all times.

Cheers,
Old 09-04-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
And these are the accessories i am thinking of mounting on the dash.

[

I was thinking of the engineguard, but it only displays one temp at a time. The TM4 shows both engine and transmission temps at all times.

Cheers,
I am curious if the temps are adjustable, suppose email the company would be best, and if so what temps to set the trans and engine temp, and what place on the engine to bolt the tabs

The digital water temp gauge I fitted started reading low, so I replaced the sender with stock unit, but fitted the digital sender up against the engine next to a spark plug, it seems to indicate the engine at that point is around about the same as indicated coolant temp it seems to be ~15C to low, and as a red light goes on at 100C, it probably works ok as an engine temp warning device

I dont know what it is that attracts hooligans against this car, but some mean-looking dickhead gave me a tirade of abuse, he should not stand in the middle of the road when I want to run an orange light..thumped on my car too..so for $21, I fitted this toy

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Air-...kAAOSww3tY6MYP

various sirens, horns, and a megaphone with mic, so one is able to address any persons outside the vehicle, give them character advice and so forth

hopefully the sirens are legal...certainly effective...I gave them a little test..a siren gets the immediate attention of suss-looking characters lol

Last edited by awg; 09-04-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply