XJ Mods VSB 14 - Page 43 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2018
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post
I am curious if the temps are adjustable, suppose email the company would be best, and if so what temps to set the trans and engine temp, and what place on the engine to bolt the tabs.
Hilarious with the siren. I would be careful around any police. They might not find it as funny.

The temps are fully adjustable. You connect both sensors to say the thermostat housing and a transmission sump bolt. Then you run the car up to normal operating temps. To check the alarms, set them just below the normal operating temps, and they should go off as the temps go up. Then, you just set the alarms to go off about 5-10c above your normal operating temperatures.

I was also toying with the idea of putting an electric water pressure gauge in the car. The cheaper mechanical ones have a small bore hose attached, which you dont want in your car. The more expensive electrical ones have a sensor in the engine bay. That way, you can always see if your loosing or getting too much pressure in your system. Would look pretty cool and be functional too next to the tranny and cooling system watchdogs..

Cheers,
Old 10-04-2018
AJOR Gold

So just ordered some more parts. Decided, while i am stripping everything down, to do the rear main seal. So have the seal and a Felpro sump gasket on the way. Have also ordered a dash gauge pod. I am going to install the cb radio and engine/tranny temp watchdog into it and mount them on the dash in easy sight. Will be a tight fit as pod is only 3" tall. But the CB is slim line at 25mm and the Watchdog is 30mm.

I will have to make a new plate where the dials normally go and fabricate cut outs for the two new bits of equipment to fit in. Should be a fun little project that will be functional.

The ZG backing plates, proportioning valve and calipers arrived the other day. Very happy with the condition of those.

Theres going to be a full week of projects on the jeep coming up soon. List is getting longer again, but she should be tip top and ready for DD duties soon.

Cheers,
Old 25-04-2018
AJOR Gold

The parts are coming in thick and fast. CB radios, antenna's, engine watchdogs, rear disc brake parts etc... I am going to have my work cut out for me when i jump back on this project.
There are some relatively large jobs like rebuilding the transfer case that i will be undertaking as well as some fiddly ones like getting the new larger alternator to fit.

But you also have to have some fun projects as well. I was looking on Go Jeeps website about fitting a factory clock. While doing some research, i came across the amazing (for its time) Systems Sentry. Its what the original blank space in our XJ's was supposed to have. Pic below of the 1985 Wagoneer limited fitted with the optional System Sentry...

I decided i would go retro, and rather than just have the clock, i would fit the whole System Sentry. This can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it. The original system, that by the way caused all sorts of headaches for dealers, has a bunch of sensors and a computer connected to it to read all the various fluid levels (even diffs and transfer cases).

I have opted to fit the system without the sensors as the 85-86 XJ that they came out in had different engines and components anyway, so it would be a major feat to adapt everything to work. Pic below of the System Sentry panel.

What i have decided to do, is get the clock and all the lights working as a fun retro conversation piece. The radio is easy following Go-Jeeps tutorial. The lights on the Sentry took a bit more thought.
The Sentry has about 12 check lights. Most are red fault lights and one is a green "All Systems Normal" light.
I am using two programmable delay relays to wire up the lights. All the red check lights will come on with the ignition for 10 seconds and then go out. The green all systems normal light will then come on and remain lit. The clock will also come on at ignition on (it is wired so that the clock display is off, but memory is on while ignition is off).

Below is a pic of the cheap programmable relays..

The whole job will take a bit of mucking around, but it was a factory option and a factory fit (for LHD cars), so will need a bit of modding. Should also be a fun little project and still add a functional clock and some blinging lights.

The System Sentry was a factory option that is quite rare and would of cost a fortune. It even has sensors in the brake pads. The panel is not easy to come by, so i had to email a few large wrecking yards in America to find one.. and even then it wasnt cheap. It will probably work out to be the most expensive XJ clock in Oz... and perhaps the rarest.

Cheers,

Old 25-04-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

That's going to be a big week Alex.
Old 25-04-2018
AJOR Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldon View Post
That's going to be a big week Alex.
The week just got bigger oldon.
In the quest for better fuel economy, nostalgia, fun and more information at my finger tips, i am playing with the idea of installing a vacuum gauge. Not just any vacuum gauge, but a Stewart Warner Motor Minder.
The originals can go for upwards of $300 online.. but they make new ones again, so i am going with one of those..

You can use your vacuum gauge to monitor your driving habits and keep within the economy range, but you can also use it to help diagnose your engine as in the pic below...

Back in the day, a lot of cars used to come with these as a standard feature built into the dash. Modern cars can give you a lot of this info automatically. The OBD1 XJ has its diagnostics port under the bonnet and doesnt work with the bluetooth OBD2 readers that can display vacuum etc, so this is a fun little toy to have.....

Cheers,
Old 26-04-2018
AJOR Gold

Kids are on school holidays and asleep.... and this arrived in the mail today...

I set up a template to scale and played around with how i can make my engine watchdog, cb radio and motor minder vacuum gauge all work together and fit.

Came up with a pretty good solution. Its a tight fit, but with some brackets here and there, a bit of filing and some fab work, i should have a nice display with some very handy equipment.

Trial fit below....

Cheers,
Old 28-04-2018
AJOR Gold

I dont want to start any of the big projects yet, as she will be off the road for a month or two with bits hanging out everywhere. So i am just doing some fun stuff.

I live quite a bit out of the city, so FM reception is never very good. I decided to upgrade my stereo with a super high quality FM antenna. I also have to fit a new UHF antenna for the CB radio thats going in.

To do this on my XJ, i decided to go with two universal stainless 50mm bullbar antenna mounting brackets. I mounted them with some rubber strip between the ally and stainless and it came up as a nice snug fit. Then i mounted the two antennas trying to keep everything as square as possible.

Still have to go through the firewall later and get the cables all fitted up. But as i will be running all sorts of crap through there soon, i will do that part when i decide on a location and grommet for all the new stuff. This will include a vacuum tube, two sensor wires and two antenna wires.

Cheers,