Quick Opinions needed - 2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-04-2016
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Quick Opinions needed - 2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD

Hi all,

My dad is looking to buy a diesel WH Grand Cherokee (Anniversary Edition). He needs the 3 tonne towing capacity.

The particular car he's looking at is a one owner with just over 100,000 kms, so quite low mileage.

It has full dealer service history and the original owner says its never given any problems and has never been in a bingle.

It presents extremely well and the underside is all straight and clean too.

Any concerns or issues that should be considered before making the purchase?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 13-04-2016
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Make sure low range works & if its from a dealer get a guarantee off them that they will cover any issues with it for at least 12 months.

This is why, there are over 800 posts here about Jeeps update that caused the problem.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=128329

Also, it was a common mistake by even dealers to use automatic transmission fluid in the transfer case. They actually require a hydraulic fluid. Other then NV245/6 Mopar fluid only Mobil 424 can be used.
Easy to check, remove the T/C fill bung & dip your finger in. If the fluid is red it is wrong. You can get away with ATF for short periods (10/20,000km) but if the same dealer has serviced it from new (100,000km) you can guarantee problems on the horizon. Serviced properly & all should be A O K.

Front diff bush's
Get underneath & push up on the front diff centre, if it moves by pushing then the bush's need replacing & the front prop shaft (tail shaft) CV at the T/C end will most likely need replacing to due to incorrect angle caused by the front diff movement.

Transmission
The transmission for god knows why has no dip stick! Check that the fluid has been changed at least once over the last 100,000km (service records should tell you) if it is set up with trailer brakes then more then once.

Engine
Check under the engine cover & see if the seal that joins the black turbo pipe to the turbo is also black, if orange then there is a chance that oil from the crank case ventilation system could have leaked onto the swirl motor directly below the turbo. This can result in a swirl motor failure that's over $2k to fix at a dealer. Black seal means all good.

These are great vehicles when not neglected, even if some of the problems I listed are present the fixes on this forum can save you $$$

Last of all the factory suspension sucks when towing heavy loads, aftermarket springs & shocks improve the ride & ability both towing & normal driving. With 100,000km I suggest its time for new shocks anyway.

If this is a private sale get the NRMA or similar to check out the Grand & specifically ask that they check the things I listed, costs a dollar or two but worth it.
Old 13-04-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Many thanks for your insight Clarky!

I have asked my dad to double check that the 4WD Low engages and disengages easily and to call the servicing dealer (Adelaide City Jeep) to get the low down on the service history, particularly in regards to fluids used and change intervals.

The car was traded by the original owner on a Range Rover and was then wholesaled out. Its a Mitsubishi dealer who has it now.

We called the original owner and his description of the car and the fact that he's had 100,000+ Kms of trouble free motoring provides confidence.

Dad is unable to get under the Jeep and check the transfer case and diff bushings as advised, but if the handling and 4WD Low are fine, then I think he'll go for it.

First thing to do if he buys it will be to get the Auto/Tranfer/Diff fluids all changed. Then new shocks are in the plan and would obviously do bushings at the same time.

I looked the car over quite thoroughly yesterday, took it for a short drive, and I reckon its a good one.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 13-04-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi all,

The deal has been done! Dad is now a Jeep owner. He picks it up on Friday. The low range engaged and disengaged no worries. He's very happy with engine performance, ride and handling, together with the very tidy exterior and interior.

Its got electric brakes and the heavy duty Mopar towbar on it too.

The only criticism was that the tyres are quite noisy. Not surprised though. They are Goodrich Wrangler All-terrain models with a knobbly tread pattern.
Old 13-04-2016
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Well! Where's the Pic's!
As we say around here "It didn't happen without pictures".
Old 13-04-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Sorry Clarky! No pictures at this time. I just went to the Carsales listing to steal the pics and the ad has already been removed.

Just gotta wait until the weekend until I can visit Dad and get a few pics after we've polished and detailed it.

Cheers and thanks again for the advice!
Old 14-04-2016
AJOR Gold

Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts

As a previous owner of a "09 model, I would do as Clarky suggests and change the springs out to heavier rated ones if you intend to tow 3 ton. The OEM ones are too soft and spongy and forever bottoming out. I put OME springs and shocks and they were still good after 230000ks but there are other good combo's out there, Murchison's for one.
Hope all goes well with it, enjoy it.