Quick Opinions needed - 2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2016
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

In my experience dealers will say anything to make a sale, get the alignment rechecked at a decent shop, have you checked the tyre pressures.
Old 06-05-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

My rear shocks were had it at 90,000 its a real easy DIY to replace them.
Wheel alignment, I had mine fault out steering not centre when a tire shop did the alinement.

I searched you tube and did my own wheel alignment and re centred the steering wheel there is vertical alignment as well as right and left.

I reckon most places just to right and left and don't worry about vertical and steering wheel being centre.

Then got a wheel alignment done as a check after I set everything as close as I could ...which involved changing some bolts and modifying on the left lower swing arm close...I reckon a lot jeeps are running around with left front wheel vertical alignment approx. 20mm our.
Old 06-05-2016
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Most places only sell raised or lowered suspension components.
I suggest emailing
Lovells
King Springs
EFS
Dobinsons suspension

& ask if they do standard height to 20/30mm lift springs & as your dad tows maybe some progressive rate rear springs for the rear.

If he is planning to fit a steel bulbar he should get the suspension done after it is fitted.
Old 07-05-2016
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks guys.

Air pressures have all been checked.

I'll suggest he get the wheel alignment checked by a good tyre shop.

As for the suspension, he's going to hook the van on and take it for a run and see how it goes before jumping into suspension replacement upgrades. Ebay shows quite a few replacement shocks available. Any recommendations on brand? Rancho, Gabriel, Monroe, KYB, Bilstein, Koni, Ultima??

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by 8Track; 07-05-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2016
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Rancho are in my opinion more an off road shock, the others are all good quality accept for Bilstein. They are considered the premium shock absorber but come with a premium price as well.

I have Old Man Emu from ARB & have found them to be a great touring shock.

hotqld is using KYB & tows a big van, appears more then happy with them.

There are other suspension brands out there that do coil over replacement suspension like Fox, Kings & Icon but these are marketed at enthusiasts & come with a $$$ price tag.
I personally will go this route with my next suspension upgrade.

Unless your dad is going to do a lot of outback corrugated roads then Coil overs are probably a waste of $$.
Icon from the USA, Looking at $3000. Are fully height adjustable from stock to 3".

Last edited by Clarky; 07-05-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-05-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

I am towing with ball / hitch weight 330kg GVM 2900kg ...a little over and caravan ATM 2800kg.
I did a DIY suspension upgrade
Monroe-58646-Sensa-Trac-Adjusting-Absorber $US90.00 for the pair plus postage
Link press amazon advert below: Have a read of the reviews, some have replaced the OME with these combination coil shock absorbers.

I know other caravaners that have done just that and happy.

Then I carried on and installed HD King springs picked up on ebay for about $300.00 front and back,
plus the matching Monroe front struts about $US250.00
New Rubber mounts top and bottom supports for the front springs.
All DIY.

While the HD King springs are the same length / height as standard the Jeep does lift about 30 -60 mm suppose this could be consequence of how worn the old stuff was.
It now hardly sags or bounces on uneven roads when caravan is hitched up.....60,000klm later.
Have since fitted bigger tires on commander rims.

Other caravaners have installed the complete front spring / strut / mount pre assembled for about $600.00 inc freight from the USA...good reports from that as well.
This type of thing ...cuts out a lot of labour...I would go this way if doing again and source Monroe USA new rear springs and the shocks I mentioned above,
Using Shipitnow in the USA to consolidate the shipping and send USA to Aus. (I reckon they should have fitted complete new upper and lower control arms at the same time if the jeep had done over 100,000)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monroe-17137...FSiTaN&vxp=mtr

Last edited by hotqld; 08-05-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply