XJ: 01 - Mild Build. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-12-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Default XJ: 01 - Mild Build.

I'm at it again. Looking for input on this build as i'm not sure where i want to end up with it.

Here's the specs;

- 2001 XJ Sport
- 99,985 Miles On The Clock
- HP D30
- C8.25
- AW4
- NP231

I picked it up for $500 as it needed some work. Guy basically just wanted the thing out of his driveway, and him not being too car savvy thought something serious was wrong with it.

Here's what i'm currently contemplating;

I want the jeep to look mean without being seriously built. Just a nice looking clean XJ with some cool accessories and what have you.

Any ideas/suggestions? I'm totally open to everything. I know this is super super broad but that's the point. I want suggestions.

Key words here are; DAILY DRIVER. I want this thing to be comfortable and ride smooth all whilst screaming "Badass".

Now onto some tech.

The night i went to pick it up i started it up, pushed the brake pedal and PSSSSH! Brake lines failed instantly. Replaced all of those. Made this home-made brake bender tool that can put super tight radius bends in brake line without kinking it.

Alternator and A/C were totally seized. I replaced the alternator ($80), and then swapped one of my spare A/C compressors into it. Serpentine belt was also snapped so i put a new belt in it. Also bought a new battery.

Started it up and encountered the problem the previous owner was experiencing. "It overheats the mechanic said the headgaskets blown". That's exactly what he told me. I'm leaning towards a cracked head if anything but i wasn't going to start telling him this.

Anyways, i replaced the entire cooling system. Total overhaul. Everything minus the heater core has been replaced. Cost me right around $200. Let the jeep idle for an hour or so and the thing idles perfect and the temperature stay right under 210 (100c).

It's not eating coolant either so that's a plus. Oil pressure is high too! Win Win! If i do have to do a head, so beat it, it's $450 shipped to my door.

Another problem is the rear brakes. The drums were totally locked up. Had to pull the jeep onto the trailer with a 3-ton come-along and the rear brakes just dragged the entire time.

Currently putting disc brakes on the rear of the jeep to get the brakes in working order. Also noticed the fuel line was rusted out (surprised it hasn't gone through.)

Bought a 25' roll of 5/16" fuel line for $18.

Another thing i noticed is that everything under the jeep is rusty. (Except the unibody and body. I don't understand.)

The axles, driveshafts, exhaust, leaf springs, etc are totally rusted. I think i'm going to swap the axles from my other jeep into this one and make them look all nice before i swap them in.

I just don't know if a HP D30 will fit into an 01. I think the pinion will hit on the exhaust because of the precats or something like that. I think you need 3" of lift to clear. I can't remember.

Leaf springs are also totally shot. They're arching the wrong way. Currently figuring out whether or not i want to buy new stock ride height leafs or lift the thing.

I don't know.

Totally open to suggestions.

Last edited by ApacheResistance; 13-12-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 13-12-2013
MudSplasher

Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts
Default 01 XJ - Mild Build.

Overlander style? 31s, 2-3" lift, full length rack etc.... White stock rims might be nice with the silver, too.
Old 13-12-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksidecustoms View Post
Overlander style? 31s, 2-3" lift, full length rack etc.... White stock rims might be nice with the silver, too.
Hmmm. How do 31s look on a jeep with like 2-3" of lift? I don't know anything about the 2-3" lift range. Gas mileage take a hit? Will 3.55s push 31s without a problem? I don't want to re-gear or anything along those lines.

I actually have another set of stock XJ tires/rims kicking around somewhere.

Do you have a full size picture of your jeep? I'm digging the way it looks.

Last edited by ApacheResistance; 13-12-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 13-12-2013
MudSplasher

30s/31s are fine with 3.55s. Maybe look at OME 2" kit? It's high quality from what I hear and not that dear over there.

I should be lifting to 3" on my 30s in the next couple of weeks, just depends on when I get my bump stops from Amazon. Postage eta says NYE, but I'm hoping for next week as I'm hoping to have it in for camping that week.

Here it is with stock upcountry front and sagged (read: inverted) rear.

Hoping to have it sit like this on 3" lift.

Last edited by darksidecustoms; 13-12-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 13-12-2013
MudSplasher

http://www.rocky-road.com/old-man-emu-xj-cherokee.html

Maybe just go springs and JK shocks if keeping on a budget?

Last edited by darksidecustoms; 13-12-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 13-12-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 83 Times in 46 Posts

Hi Mate,

I love reading your build threads - looking forward to this one.

I ran an OME 2" lift (comes up quite a bit more than that with sagged springs) on my DD XJ and it was a sweet ride on BFG 30's.

Old 17-12-2013
Established Member

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Here's a photo of mine with roughly 3" of lift and 31's:

I've no doubt you know about the trimming/steering stop adjustment that needs to be done with the 31's. I find the 3.55 gearing is okay, but not great. 30's would probably be better if you're worried about that being a daily driver.

Suspension on mine is a mis-match, as I'm still building shocks for it. Basically it's Lovells springs, RE short-arms, adj. panhard and HD tie-rod, and an RE 1" extended bumpstop.

See my Budget XJ Build HERE!
Post New Thread  Reply