BLING GETS A DOSE OF ROIDS - Page 16 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-09-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But then I'm carrying a flat tyre.
That seems a little odd to me. Why would I not just reverse mount it, or better still, pack out the mounting with some washers? (When I get around to rustling some up.)
Old 20-09-2004
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer TJ
Tommo what control arms are you running did they change them when they fitted your lift kit? Did they also fit panhard rod brackets etc?
Ummmmm. Two thanks, with sauce. WTF?
Thought you may have known what you did or didn't pay for.
Old 20-09-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just ask for the set that I'd need for the purpose I described. That way I set up an 'unfit for purpose' action under the Trade Practices Act if it doesn't do what I said I it should. If you tell them what to put in, you lose that.

I did get the panhard rod extension thing - I checked the receipt. All of $25, what ever it is. What are control arms?

One thing I did wonder about: the vertical rods on the sway bar - the parts you replace with quick disconnects - do they have to be replaced with longer ones?
Old 20-09-2004
HydroKing

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
But then I'm carrying a flat tyre.
That seems a little odd to me. Why would I not just reverse mount it, or better still, pack out the mounting with some washers? (When I get around to rustling some up.)
I fit my 31" tyre on easily, but MUCH easier when the pressure is under 30psi - if i ever need to use it out on the road i'll simply pump it up... However, I don't run the 31" on the stock rear tailgate anymore because it weighs too much and causes stress on the hinges & lock. When the 31 is on the back, my lock will lock but not unlock once locked. It also rattles like buggery over rough roads. I'm happy with the GSA till i get a Jbitz rear carrier.

You know what seems odd to me, that you have 5 inches of lift and no idea what control arms are. I do not know how to change my engine oil (never tried on a car) but i have a bit of an idea about the control arms, surely this would have come up in discussion when you were going to lift it that high when you bought the bits & pieces but then again possibly not. Was this not mentioned? The main reason i havn't lifted is because i don't want to have to deal with all the insurance issues (my work pays for my insurance).

Also, you've already got the lift and i'm wondering why you've still got 31's? You've done all the hard work and all you need now is the easiest bit - 33's. Do you plan to get 33's? Cheers.
Old 20-09-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went 31"s so I could get away with leaving my gearbox as is. They're BFG muddies, and they don't appear to even come close to fitting on the back - almost 2 inches too fat at the point they touch the rubber blocks on the back door. No point in deforming them if I don't need to, so I just whacked them on backwards. Admittedly it will increase the stress on the door that way, bringing the weight back, but on a 6 week old car, I reckon it can handle it.

After exclaiming several times that I don't know what control arms are, you still didn't actually tell me what they are...

I didn't buy the parts for the lift, I bought the lift - the result. I said I wanted 3 inches of suspension, and then 2 inches of body to keep my feet dry and so I could put seriously big tyres on one day. But they will come with the SYE (what that is exactly I have only a vague idea), the gearbox mod, and some other bits and pieces.

Exactly what the lift consisted of; what needed changing, extending etc - I don't know - that's what I pay mechanics for. If they do it wrong, they do it again. If they totally do it wrong, I have an entertaining time suing them until they do it right. (Costs me almost nothing to sue them - costs them a fortune to defend the action - much easier to just fix things.)

And another thing, what is that pathetic design feature hanging down under my front bumper, messing with my entry angle? Looks like part of the steering... steel thing hangs down a couple of inches. I might have to put some barwork over it so I don't scrape it off on things.

I love my jeep, don't get me wrong, but designed as a heavy duty 4WD it aint.
Old 20-09-2004
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I just ask for the set that I'd need for the purpose I described. That way I set up an 'unfit for purpose' action under the Trade Practices Act if it doesn't do what I said I it should. If you tell them what to put in, you lose that.
So did you ask for the body lift or did they add it in?.... i find it hard to believe they would recommend something that requires engineering certificate and lifts your jeep to 5'' just to fit 31's (that will fit on a stock jeep anyway)...
Old 20-09-2004
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tommo: gearbox i think you mean diff ratios?