Diff rebuild or Second Handy - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-06-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 161 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
My thoughts too, all I need to find is an in lb torque wrench and a brass punch for the pinion bearing races and I should be good to go.
I have a couple of weeks off coming up so hopefully get it done straight away and I can get out camping and wheeling.
I've missed 2 trips due to the diff, one with mates down to the Coorong for some awesome beach driving and the Border Track last week [emoji29]

Sent from under my Grand Cherokee

If you were nearby I'd loan you my torque wrench.
Old 15-06-2017
OG Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts

Bugger, just sold my compete rebuild kit to v8val.

I've got an old TJ D30 rebuild kit sitting in the shed, I'll have a look at what's missing and you can have it if you want, mainly just bearings etc.
Old 15-06-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Thanks mate, are they the same do ya reckon?
TJ is long pinion and the WJ short I think, not sure if the bearings would be the same between the normal and the Super 30

sent from my WG Grand Cherokee using the ausjeepoffroad app
Old 15-06-2017
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Unless you're doing diff rebuilds for a living, it would be cheaper , less risky to get one recond from the US.

That's what I would be doing. These things are in abundance in the USA and they would even charge you much if you keep your core.
Old 15-06-2017
Established Member

Yeah but the shipping would cost a small fortune.

Old 15-06-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 161 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
Yeah but the shipping would cost a small fortune.

A complete diff from RockAuto for example would total up to $3300 delivered to your door, as opposed to $220 for the kit delivered.

Do I remember from earlier conversations that you've replaced the wheel bearings already? You've done the shaft already right?

Doug.
Old 15-06-2017
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperau View Post
A complete diff from RockAuto for example would total up to $3300 delivered to your door, as opposed to $220 for the kit delivered.

Do I remember from earlier conversations that you've replaced the wheel bearings already? You've done the shaft already right?

Doug.
The kit from Rockauto is actually cheaper, about $120 AUD delivered to my door.
Yep did both wheel bearings, and both CV's on the front shaft that is at the moment laying on my garage floor. She drives really nice without the front shaft, so smooth and the steering is much lighter and feels smoother.